20 mph speed limit on the way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bonj said:
This argument's getting a bit silly. Am I right in presuming John's original reply to Elmer on page 10 about taking responsibility for your own actions was meant with sarcasm, which wasn't understood?

thanks bonj.

GrahamG

Guru
I was going to post, but I really just don't want to get involved so here's my tuppence worth and please don't reply :ohmy:

I think that one key element to this is a misunderstanding over where such measures are likely to apply - 'urban' is a bit vague really and hence all the commotion. The areas where is would apply are either inner-city residential or city/town centre (encompassing a mixture of uses), where there are few 'major' roads. There seems to be this bizarre assumption that it would cover entire urban regions including all arterial routes when this really isn't the case.

It's no different to the old road user charging debate/online petition - the 'facts' as stated by that petition which read like they had been lifted from a tabloid headline were a complete fallacy (there never have been any 'proposals' from government regarding this issue). In this case, it's '20mph on all urban roads' with the implication/misinterpretation as mentioned above.

The reality, as demonstrated in Portsmouth, is that there is a good old application of common sense resulting in workable, sensible, schemes. Why? Because anything else wouldn't make it past all the councillors we elect.

bonj2

Cab said:
So... You're telling him what, not to say that kind of thing here because we don't condone people making their own decisions and taking responsibility?
You don't appear to condone it when it involves breaking the law, by definition, even if it still is responsible behaviour. Therefore it appears that whether you condone it or not is a function of whether or not it is against the law, not of whether or not it is taking adequate responsibility.

Cab said:
When he's just said that he's a speeder, a law breaker, you suggested that he shouldn't say that here not because he's breaking the law but because we don't condone people taking responsibility? You're right, I hope, in that most of us wouldn't condone someone taking personal responsibility to the point where they ignore the law.
You appear to believe that 'obeying the law' and 'taking responsibility for your actions' are synonymous, that they amount to exactly the same thing. Some other people feel differently. I believe all John was doing was warning / reminding Elmer that the concentration of people who believe the former is higher on this forum than among the general population. Which is true, but make of that what you will.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

bonj said:
You appear to believe that 'obeying the law' and 'taking responsibility for your actions' are synonymous, that they amount to exactly the same thing. Some other people feel differently. I believe all John was doing was warning / reminding Elmer that the concentration of people who believe the former is higher on this forum than among the general population. Which is true, but make of that what you will.

John and I are pretty much okay with this now I think, misunderstanding, way more my fault for not spotting his sarcasm than anything else.

As for believing that taking respinsibility is the same as obeying the law... No. But it is clear that the law defines the parameters in which we make decisions as to what is or is not responsible behaviour. Don't you agree?

bonj2

Cab said:
John and I are pretty much okay with this now I think, misunderstanding, way more my fault for not spotting his sarcasm than anything else.

As for believing that taking respinsibility is the same as obeying the law... No. But it is clear that the law defines the parameters in which we make decisions as to what is or is not responsible behaviour. Don't you agree?

Erm....no. But let's not fall out about it.

Tetedelacourse

Cab said:
Oh give it a rest. I responed fairly and reasonably to what you said, you didn't like it so you called me arrogant as a get out. You could either engage in a real discussion or just get insulting, you chose the latter. And now I'm the antagonistic one?[/QUOTE]

yip.

If you are going to ask people for their thoughts about something at least either pay the courtesy of attempting to take in what's being said, or don't, and accept that it is arrogant behaviour.

As for engaging in a real discussion, actually I did to begin with, made a few points, listened to your points and accepted a few, made a few other points, to the point that you became derisive yourself. Maybe it's the way you post and not your intent. Maybe you accidentally miscomprehend others frequently and don't actually set out to antagonise people, but as has already happened elsewhere IN THIS THREAD you could do with thinking a bit more about how to phrase your points and consider more what others mean before you fly off the handle.

bonj2

just have a snog and make up all of you.

as regards the initial point I think GrahamG's hit the nail on the head. It is another case of people blowing things out of all proportion and getting hysterical over what they've interpreted it as rather than what's actually going to happen.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

andy_wrx said:
I agree : Cab has fallen-out with, insulted or patronised at least you (Tete), me, John Ponting and Elmer in the course of this thread.

Clearly the sort of person it's impossible to have a dialogue with.

Or, in other words, you didn't have a reasoned response.

Look, I'm bored with this, if you're after a personal argument with me then take it to PM. I shan't be responding to you in this thread again.

Top Bottom