20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use the cruise control a lot. My car cancels it with change of gear or applying the brakes. Amazing how many tailgaters I get despite there being a huge queue ahead at a set of traffic lights.

The road to the grand-kids house is 20 mph
I have given up doing 20 on it as it just makes people try to pass me - and it is not a suitable road for that - if I stick to about 23-24 then they don;t get as desperate to pass and it seems safer
Gave up when I was in the car on my own and someone passed just by the block of shops and didn;t notice the pedestrian refuge in th emiddle of the road
or the car signalling to pull out from the parking in front of the shops
It was all OK - but only because I slammed the brakes on and stopped so he had room to cut in before the refuge

The road outside our estate is the same - only for 30 instead of 20 - I can get away with doing 30 but it does annoy some people
and when I slow down to turn left it is not uncommon for people to have to brake sharply because they were looking to overtake and didn;t think I could possibly slow down - even approaching several left turns!

On semi-main roads past houses a lot of people just regard them as main roads and expect to be able to do about 40

as I say - people

Drago

Legendary Member
Bollards to the lot of them. I drive to the speed limit, and if others want to join the ranks of the kamikaze that's their problem - im not breaking the law to accommodste them.

A bit like EBW I did once had have an impatient nodder overtake me in a 30 zone and flatten a traffic island. His effort to save himself a few seconds probably cost him hours as he awaited recovery, but I doubt he learned his lesson.

Bollards to the lot of them. I drive to the speed limit, and if others want to join the ranks of the kamikaze that's their problem - im not breaking the law to accommodste them.

A bit like EBW I did once had have an impatient nodder overtake me in a 30 zone and flatten a traffic island. His effort to save himself a few seconds probably cost him hours as he awaited recovery, but I doubt he learned his lesson.

I would agree
but I have a new car and I don't want the plonker suddenly realising that he won't make the dumb manoeuvrer and side swiping me and damaging my car
and especially if the grand kids are in it - I don;t want them hurt or shocked

what happens to him and the people in his car are his problem - but there is also random passing pedestrians to consider as well - he could end up mowing down other people - and I would feel guilty about them if I thought may be I could have prevented it

Note tht I have been using the male pronouns all through - although it is sometimes a woman - but ...........

Drago

Legendary Member
I have 2 new cars, but I don't think trying to accommodate dangerous drivers makes them any less likely to swipe you. All it means that if it still goes wrong there is even more kinetic energy at play, more chance for damage or injury.

Unless I'm actually manoeuvring to avoid a collision I drive safely and to the law, I do what I can to avoid danger to pedestrians myself. Start pulling the "what if" loose thread and try to anticipate the danager others might cause and you risk the whole jersey quickly unravelling. What they do is their problem, you cannot control it.

The other side of that is if you then mow someone down while speeding to appease an idiot behind you then you're in a world of hurt. The only danger you can fully anticipate, account for and accommodate is that which you may present to others yourself.

It's the other drivers job to do the same, and risking more danger to yourself and those around you in order to potentially to mitigate someone else's danger is a, er, dangerous thing to do.

The law of unintended consequences will one day bend you over, as sure as Accy has a shrine to David Niven in his spare bedroom.

the snail

Guru
I would agree
but I have a new car and I don't want the plonker suddenly realising that he won't make the dumb manoeuvrer and side swiping me and damaging my car
and especially if the grand kids are in it - I don;t want them hurt or shocked

what happens to him and the people in his car are his problem - but there is also random passing pedestrians to consider as well - he could end up mowing down other people - and I would feel guilty about them if I thought may be I could have prevented it

Note tht I have been using the male pronouns all through - although it is sometimes a woman - but ...........

I think these arguments are a bit silly - you speed because you have a new car, really?. If everyone thought like this, your children would be at higher risk because everyone would be driving faster - a tragedy of the commons. It's the same argument I've heard from people suggesting that they drive too fast around a blind bend, or keep at 80mph in fog on the motorway. because someone might crash into the back of them. In my experience, if you drive within the speed limit, then that encourages people to do the same. I don't let anyone following make me feel uncomfortable - if they don't like it, they can do one.

Alex321

Veteran
I think these arguments are a bit silly - you speed because you have a new car, really?.

That is not remotely close to what he said???

He was talking there about eth fact that he had braked to let the plonker overtaking him in, rather than risking getting sideswiped when said plonker realised there was nowhere else to go.

the snail

Guru
That is not remotely close to what he said???

He was talking there about eth fact that he had braked to let the plonker overtaking him in, rather than risking getting sideswiped when said plonker realised there was nowhere else to go.
Er, that's exactly what he said:
I have given up doing 20 on it as it just makes people try to pass me
I have a new car and I don't want the plonker suddenly realising that he won't make the dumb manoeuvrer and side swiping me and damaging my car

Alex321

Veteran
Er, that's exactly what he said:

No it isn't.

It is disingenuous to say the least to put two posts together out of context.

Top Bottom