20" Tyres for 2 wheeler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycle

Über Member
It seems Schwalbe has discontinued production of the 20" Marathon Racer folding tyre which is a pity because it used a different puncture protection to the wired equivalent, and carried a higher puncture resistance rating.

The Marathon Racer is light with good rolling resistance but my puncture record with these tyres isn't good. I'm reluctant to go down the Marathon plus route because whilst the the tyre has excellent puncture resistance, it's heavy, has poor rolling resistance, and difficult to get off the rim in the event of a puncture.

I have just invested in Marathon supreme's and fitting the tyre was easy. It's marginally fatter and heavier than the Marathon racer but so far the ride feels good. I hope the puncture resistance proves as good as Schwalbe claim. Anyone else had any experience on these tyres?

Last edited:
I have used Marathon Supreme's but in 700C size on my touring bike for bitumen tours. Rolling resistance is not such a bit deal touring of course.

Andrew

I use Marathon Supremes in the Summer and Marathon Plus in the Winter (and occasional Marathon Winter use) on the commuting Gekko

The Catrike is shod with either Marathon Plus or Duranos in the Summer

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I have used Marathon Supreme's but in 700C size on my touring bike for bitumen tours. Rolling resistance is not such a bit deal touring of course.

Andrew

I had Marathon Plus tyres on the Catrike. I found that as long as I ran them at minimum psi they weren't too bad.....especially considering the 16 inch wheel size. On the Trice I run Tryker tyres, and they are quite fast rolling, seem pretty good puncture wise, and omg do they grip well!

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
I see there's a Durano Plus tyre which has added puncture protection. Much thinner than the Marathon racer. Perhaps I'll try those on my speedmachine if I can find an on-line shop that sells them.

Marathon supremes' are fitted on my urban bike and my trike, so far no punctures on either, in my opinion they are the best touring tyres as regards durability and speed - although their price reflects this.

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
Well I'm impressed by the durano's so far. Can't comment on the puncture performance yet but the rolling resistance and grip feels good.

starhawk

I rode for a while on Marathon as they where the tyres which came with the trike. Then I changed to Marathon +, I don't like flat tires! I have read all accounts of the Marathon + being slow and all, but I experienced no change. But I have always have them inflated to 6 bar at least. Then one day I was going for a recce trip and found the tires a bit soft. The pump was back at the flat and I didn't fancy going back to fetch it so I headed out, interesting to see if the softer tires made the ride more comfy. The e-assist masked the behaviour of the tires on the way out, but when the battery was out I found that it was like riding on a trike with doublesided adhesive tape on the tires! and it wasn't a bit more comfy! When I came home I inflated the tires and headed out again, what a change! the tyres where alert and lively again. So the thing is keep them inflated to at least 6 bar then they are okay!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Odd decision by Schwalbe there- got folding Racers (the old, HS366 version) on my Dahon- one puncture. The (42mm) Supremes might just fit on the front- dual pivot rather than V-brake (40mm Racers are tight). Durano Pluses will definitely fit though, and as tough as old boots....

Top Bottom