20" Wheel Folding Bike Carry Bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Assuming that you only want it covered, as opposed to heavily padded, Halfords do a decent one. I think the same or very similar is available from various suppliers. I use mine with a Tern with dropped bars, so they don't actually fit in the bag, but even then it's fine when I'm putting the bike in the boot for a holiday or whatever.
 

Riverman

Guru
The best folding bike bag I ever bought was that Dahon Stow Bag. I think I paid £60 for it back in 2010.

Tern sell basically the same bag but it ain't cheap. I think it costs about £120 but it really is a very solid bag so might be worth the money I guess.
These days I use a bag I bought in Halfords that just about does the job, although one of the zip pulls did break after a few months.
I would use my Dahon bag but I left it at a relative's house overseas along with my Speed D7 when I went to visit them 8 years ago and haven't been back since.
 
I've not taken it on buses, but I do take it on the Eurostar and TGV - it's fine for that and the St Pancras baggage handlers are happy for it to go through the big scanner.

I previously had a Dahon bag with a drawstring and a whole bunch of internal straps - not sure if that's the Stow bag? - and I found it really uncomfortable; walking down the long platform at Gare du Nord it would repeatedly bash against my legs. Maybe I didn't have the knack.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Sort of off topic, sort of related, im building a bass amp and 10" speakers into two Ikea Kalax book cases. Much as I detest the place their wares can be very useful.
 

Riverman

Guru
I've not taken it on buses, but I do take it on the Eurostar and TGV - it's fine for that and the St Pancras baggage handlers are happy for it to go through the big scanner.

I previously had a Dahon bag with a drawstring and a whole bunch of internal straps - not sure if that's the Stow bag? - and I found it really uncomfortable; walking down the long platform at Gare du Nord it would repeatedly bash against my legs. Maybe I didn't have the knack.

It sounds like that may have been the lightweight 'bag' they used to sell. I was tempted to buy it at the time as it was a fair bit lighter.
The regular stow bag is pretty robust, or at least the Dahon one was, not sure about the Tern one although it looks identical. IIRC there aren't many straps as such. The bag does have nice rubber handles on the top that lock into each other and I think are magnetic.

Can't believe they want £140 for it now though.

The Dahon bag brings back a lot of memories.
 

Attachments

  • stow-bag-01_800x.jpg
    stow-bag-01_800x.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tern-fold-pa002.jpg
    tern-fold-pa002.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Punkawallah

Veteran
In a similar vein to the IKEA bag, my local hardware shop sells large shopping/storage bags with handles for carrying? I was planning to use one for a Dawes Kingpin when travelling by train, and it would fold for stowage on the rack. You might investigate shops where you are for one.
 

Riverman

Guru
Assuming that you only want it covered, as opposed to heavily padded, Halfords do a decent one. I think the same or very similar is available from various suppliers. I use mine with a Tern with dropped bars, so they don't actually fit in the bag, but even then it's fine when I'm putting the bike in the boot for a holiday or whatever.

Oh, I should mention this is the Halfords bag I also own and whilst it's okay, it's not as good as the stow bag.

It's also a bit on the small side so can sometimes take longer to fit a bike in it.

It's particularly annoying when I use it with my Bickerton Junction because the latch which secures the handlepost sticks out a bit too much.

I think the Stow Bag can be used with 24 inch wheel folding bikes which would account for it being so roomy.
 
Top Bottom