2007 Dawes Super Galaxy for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Mmm, so much for me thinking I was letting it go (cheap) to somebody who was going to enjoy racking up the miles on it , and give it a good home. Did you finish your Single Speed project, and get rid of the Boardman Gareth?

OP
OP
gareth01244

gareth01244

Veteran
It still has a good home, I decided to keep it and instead sold my wifes bike on here and also sold all my dslr camera equipment. The money from the camera sale came on Monday and last night I placed a frame order for my next build. I did sell the boardman.

JPBoothy

Veteran
What are you going to build this time? I picked up an absolutely Mint 52cm Cannondale CAADX on Tuesday, to replace my own 54cm CAADX. I have always found mine to be just slightly too big for me. I have been looking for months as I wanted the 'older' Cantilever model as opposed to the current Mechanical Disc model. I have a few friends that have the disc model and they are not too impressed.

OP
OP
gareth01244

gareth01244

Veteran
I was also looking at Cannondale, Evans have the Caad10 black inc disc frame on sale and I thought it would build into a really nice bike but in the end I went for a Synapse frame as I have never had a carbon bike and after riding a Supersix which has the same geometry as the caad I was a little worried about how I would get on with the more aggressive position long term, think I've been spoilt by the Galaxy which is such a comfortable fit

JPBoothy

Veteran
I was put off the Caad10 for the same reason, despite the fact that it is one of the lightest bikes out there (Inc Carbon). The Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc is still one of my favourites (approx £2.5k), but to me a bike fitted with Hydraulic Discs is for all year round use, and this one doesn't take mudguards. Good luck with the build Gareth - John

Yorkyred

Regular
What are you going to build this time? I picked up an absolutely Mint 52cm Cannondale CAADX on Tuesday, to replace my own 54cm CAADX. I have always found mine to be just slightly too big for me. I have been looking for months as I wanted the 'older' Cantilever model as opposed to the current Mechanical Disc model. I have a few friends that have the disc model and they are not too impressed.
Really, I purchased a Caadx five weeks ago and find the brakes great and way better than my old cantilever bike, not sure how much more stopping power anyone would need.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I suppose it's just preference at the end of the day. Most Discs are going to have better stopping power than a rim brake (if set-up correctly), especially in the wet. My Canti's scare me in the rain! I don't think the stopping power was their gripe, just the excessive lever travel and noise from the pads rubbing after a while. The TRP HY/RD are supposed to be good though, as they have cables like a mechanical disc, but the caliper is hydraulic. Very expensive too. Another friend as the Caadx Ultegra model which has fully hydraulic Discs and they are apparently excellent. The Caadx is a great bike though isn't it :thumbsup:

Yorkyred

Regular
I suppose it's just preference at the end of the day. Most Discs are going to have better stopping power than a rim brake (if set-up correctly), especially in the wet. My Canti's scare me in the rain! I don't think the stopping power was their gripe, just the excessive lever travel and noise from the pads rubbing after a while. The TRP HY/RD are supposed to be good though, as they have cables like a mechanical disc, but the caliper is hydraulic. Very expensive too. Another friend as the Caadx Ultegra model which has fully hydraulic Discs and they are apparently excellent. The Caadx is a great bike though isn't it :thumbsup:
I'm very happy with it I must admit and given I'm back to biking after 20 years can't believe how fast it is if that makes sense. I have the 105 model and short of changing the pedals I think I may just leave it as it is.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I like the confidence it gives you to ride on any type of surface without worrying than your wheels will buckle, or your skinny race tyres will go pop at any minute. I found the original Cross tyres (Swalbe Sammy Slick) to be a bit soft and prone to puncturing so I tried a set of puncture proof road tyres for a while thinking they would be faster, but have now gone back to Continental Cross tyres but a little narrower (32c). The speed difference is marginal, and a small price to pay for having the option of changing from a smooth to rough surface whenever you feel like it. I even tried a Cyclocross race this year and it was great fun, with the bike suffering no damage at all. My legs and lungs didn't fare so well though. Find yourself some dirt and ride it hard. It's amazing how tough a Cross bike is compared to a lightweight race bike, and it's nice not to worry about motorists too.
Enjoy your rides :thumbsup:

Yorkyred

Regular
I like the confidence it gives you to ride on any type of surface without worrying than your wheels will buckle, or your skinny race tyres will go pop at any minute. I found the original Cross tyres (Swalbe Sammy Slick) to be a bit soft and prone to puncturing so I tried a set of puncture proof road tyres for a while thinking they would be faster, but have now gone back to Continental Cross tyres but a little narrower (32c). The speed difference is marginal, and a small price to pay for having the option of changing from a smooth to rough surface whenever you feel like it. I even tried a Cyclocross race this year and it was great fun, with the bike suffering no damage at all. My legs and lungs didn't fare so well though. Find yourself some dirt and ride it hard. It's amazing how tough a Cross bike is compared to a lightweight race bike, and it's nice not to worry about motorists too.
Enjoy your rides :thumbsup:
If only I was still young enough mate, I'm 55 this year. Pretty fit for my age but my knees tell me I'm not getting any younger. Still I've already lost weight and done a good few miles at a half decent pace and am really enjoying it.
Take care
Mark

JPBoothy

Veteran
You'll be fine Mark, as it is only a race for those that want to race. I was the big 50 last year which is why I decided to enter a x-race just to see if I could do it, and there was one chap in it going around at his own pace and he must have been 70+. There are Men, Women and Children of all shapes and sizes riding around a field having a laugh. My mate from work said all he could hear was me laughing every time I fell off.

Take it easy Mark and enjoy whatever, and wherever you ride
John

Top Bottom