2009 Sportives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kennykool

Etape Caledonia is the one I'm training for. Had a great time last year. Closed roads....fantastic. Surprised it's not on the list.

This is the ONLY sportive i'll take part in next year. Riding London - paris and doing the London Triathlon in August...should keep me busy enough

Did the Tour of Pembroke, The Dragon, The Merlin and the Autumn Epic (which I sadly didn't finish due to a timely puncture and very, very cold knees!) this year. So will definitely be doing them again plus the Forest Of Dean Classic, possibly the Devil Ride and the Tour Of The Black Mountains. There's also talk of a three day North Wales to South Wales ride also!

Joe

Über Member
Dave Lloyd Mega for definite.
Quite fancy the Cheshire Cat but I will only have the fixed with me at that time...suicide?
Not much else really. My course prevents me from doing any of the Euro ones or the LEL which I was really up for:sad:

RedBike

Quite fancy the Cheshire Cat but I will only have the fixed with me at that time...suicide?[/qutoe]

Most of the route is as flat as you can get. -It's a bit lumpy around delemere but last year it was big ring all the way (except mow cop and bridestones).

If you don't mind pushing up Mow-cop, Bridestones and the new hills for this year, macc forest and Swiss hill then you'll be fine. You'll probably find you're not the only rider pushing up these!

RedBike said:
Quite fancy the Cheshire Cat but I will only have the fixed with me at that time...suicide?[/qutoe]

Most of the route is as flat as you can get. -It's a bit lumpy around delemere but last year it was big ring all the way (except mow cop and bridestones).

If you don't mind pushing up Mow-cop, Bridestones and the new hills for this year, macc forest and Swiss hill then you'll be fine. You'll probably find you're not the only rider pushing up these!

Completely different route, doesn't go anywhere near Delamere or over the Bridestones next year.

Much shorter 'flat Cheshire' loop, then Mow Cop, over towards Rudyard, Wincle & Danebridge, Macc Forest, Lamaload to Pott Shrig, Alderley Edge inc Swiss Hill and then back to Knutsford.

I tried Swiss Hill this afternoon, was doing pretty well despite lots of back-wheel slip on the greasy cobbles until the camber caught me.
It's do-able, just not by me today ! :ohmy:
But I wouldn't fancy it amongst lots of other people swerving about, stopping, crashing - difficult enough without that additional hazard !

Meself, I wouldn't fancy next year's route on a fixer...

peanut

anyone got a linky to the sportives lists for 2009 ? someone was making a huge list of events but can't remember which forum now doh

CotterPin

My season will kick off with the Hell of the Ashdown on 1st February. Sounds like it could be quite tough, though. Some friends did it a couple of years back (before it became a big event) and were pleased to get round in about five hours. Their satisfaction at what they thought was a reasonably was quickly destroyed when they found that the finish was already being taken down and they had the very last of the tea!

Kablinsky

First post. Never ridden a sportive before but planning on the Orchid in June and Essex 100 or Circuit of Kent in September. I've done a few charity rides London - Southend etc. I've been challenged to do one of these London - Paris charity rides as well (300 miles approx in 4 days). I'm sure it's been asked before but has anyone done one of these? Any comments.

peanut

welcome Kablinsky (nice traditional Essex name that lol:biggrin:)

never ridden a sportive myself but use to ride lots of Audax and charity rides. Worth taking a look at Audax as well http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm
London Paris sounds fantastic but I reckon you'l need some serious stamina for that . Good luck.
ps what part of Essex you from ? spent my youth there Ilford,Chigwell Hainault, Leytonstone,Wanstead, Redbridge . Bet its all changed now though

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So - 66 or 100 mile Cat then......that is the question ?

Lamaload section as you come off the Cat and Fiddle will be dicey in the wet - 1 in 5.....I was back wheel slipping on it in the summer climbing it....

With Swiss hill, you're gonna need room - so either make sure the group splits up before, or take the front. It's very tricky in a group as your bike just goes where it wants, and after that didtance you are gonna be tired....certainly no big gear climbing. I can do it in a 39x21, but not after 90 miles....

Top Bottom