2010 Roubaix SL2 BB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
I've got a Roubaix and I'm fairly sure the creak is from the bottom bracket. I've changed pedals/cleats, rode seated/ standing, spinning/grinding and it produces noise almost all the time.
Is it the fabled BB30...? What is the rough cost to get it replaced?
Thanks....

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
To give you an idea, I was riding to the Cafe at Prologue Cycles in Harrogate and my GXP BB started creaking, their mechanic replaced it there and then for £50 all in.
Although different BB’s they cost roughly the same.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The dreaded pressfit BB. You can do it yourself, plenty of vids on YouTube.
You don't need any special tools. The only thing is to make up a installation press with washers, nuts and threaded rod, again vids on the net.
Hope it sorts out your issue for you but it's not always guaranteed.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Does this help? Apologies for the delay guys…phone issues!🤯

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 15

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thats not a press fit. Its a Hollowtech II external bearings. Cheaply and easily replaced.
Unfortunately, since the bearings are pretty much exposed to the elements, they really do not last long. Especially if you do a lot of wet weather riding.

All you need is a HTII bottom bracket tool such as this. Used with an adjustable spanner.
B22-ABB-S_535x.jpg

To get the crankset off you undo the 2 retaining bolts. You will then need to undo the plastic bolt with one of these. Couple of quid from Wiggle or such like. Lift up the tap and pull the crank off.
17-fa871cc20567_1.0cc05a9de251dd700f8d1429e62b7d6e.jpg

Pull the crankset from the other side. It may need a little help with a rubber mallet or such like.
Then you can access the bottom bracket on both sides.

You can check if they have any roughness to the bearings by using your fingers to turn them. If they feel rough, you know they need replacing.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Thats not a press fit. Its a Hollowtech II external bearings. Cheaply and easily replaced.
Unfortunately, since the bearings are pretty much exposed to the elements, they really do not last long. Especially if you do a lot of wet weather riding.
I have a 2010 Roubaix which is mainly used in good weather. It's originally fitted HT2 bottom bracket lasted barely 3000 miles.

It's replacement is still running smoothly after 22,000 miles.

I converted my commuter/ winter bike to hollowtech 5,000 miles ago and it's still going strong. Lots of riding on wet and salty roads.

YMMV

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Lift up the tap and pull the crank off.

this is worth emphasising, there is a little retaining tab where the two split parts of the crank arm bolt together, you need to flick it up to pull the crank off, and to be extra clear, this is all on the non drive side crank. then the chainset slides out from the other side so you can them undo the BB. There are arrows on the B to should which way to tighten (and thus loosen)

Top Bottom