2012 Cube Agree GTC 60cm - £950.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just increase the price as their fees are now a whopping 10% :ohmy: (plus paypal at 3-4% if the buyer insists)

If you do ebay it and someone wants to collect it then DO NOT accept PayPal under any circumstances.

If you advertise it as collection only then you are entitled to receive cash on collection, just state it in the listing.

If someone pays with PayPal and then collects it you are open to being scammed.

Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you do ebay it and someone wants to collect it then DO NOT accept PayPal under any circumstances.

If you advertise it as collection only then you are entitled to receive cash on collection, just state it in the listing.

If someone pays with PayPal and then collects it you are open to being scammed.

Forewarned is forearmed as they say.
Why not? I sold a bike on eBay, the guy didn't have the cash and paid Paypal as he wanted to use his credit card, was all fine. Money was paid and withdrawn before collection. I would think for a £1k many people would want to pay by CC?

Ebay rules state that you must offer Paypal even if to be collected

e-rider

crappy member
Why not? I sold a bike on eBay, the guy didn't have the cash and paid Paypal as he wanted to use his credit card, was all fine. Money was paid and withdrawn before collection. I would think for a £1k many people would want to pay by CC?

Ebay rules state that you must offer Paypal even if to be collected
the scam works by collecting the bike (paid previous using paypal) and then claiming to ebay that they never received the bike, leading to a chargeback and no bike!!!

you would need to prove that they collected the bike - you could take a photo of them with it, or get them to sign something - still risky though

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
the scam works by collecting the bike (paid previous using paypal) and then claiming to ebay that they never received the bike, leading to a chargeback and no bike!!!

you would need to prove that they collected the bike - you could take a photo of them with it, or get them to sign something - still risky though

Yes paypal can be a pain, one of my customers sells laminate flooring from his website which I wrote for him and he uses PayPal as the payment gateway.

So one day someone orders a load of laminate flooring off his website the PayPal transaction goes through as good as gold the flooring is delivered and signed for all nice and simple.................... until PayPal give the guy his money back because he claims he never recieved it.

My customer has a signature for the goods the police have been round and seen the flooring in the guys house and still PayPal wont accept it, and this is not the only case I have heard about and it has also happened to me. Luckily at the time it happened to me it wasnt a great deal of money and I was turning over thousands with paypal so they gave me the money back when I threatened to pull my business.

I would never ever accept PayPal for and item that is been collected always ask for cash.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I will never use PayPal for anything so expensive that I couldn't afford to lose it.

PayPal are a horrible company, google for some of the horror stories.

OP
OP
S

sixty

jeez, now I know why I wanted to avoid fleabay :laugh:

Seriously though, I would ask for a Bank Transfer before posting the bike, or alternatively payment with cash or BT if picked up.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's me told :whistle:

If you sell for £950, even if cash or BT, you'll pay £95+ insertion fees to fleabay

I had no reason to distrust the bloke. Get a signature if you aren't sure
What e-rider said, and a signature won't cut it I'm afraid. A mate of mine had no reason to distrust the bloke who took him for a couple of grands worth of garage equipment :cursing:

I'm sure the scumbags are a minority, but the fact remains this scam is alive and kicking, and PayPal will not protect you as the seller under these circumstances.

I guess you could to the extremes of seeing and photocopying photo ID and the like, but you simply don't need to, and if they are coming to collect it there is no reason why they can't pay cash when they do.

IMO if someone insists on using PayPal but wanting to collect then it would be alarm bells time.

[EDIT] Cross posted with a few others there, must type faster and not get distracted!

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like I had a lucky escape two years ago, as did the bloke I paid for my Whyte using Paypal a month ago :rolleyes:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I find PayPal are nearly always on the side of the buyer which is ok if you are a buyer, however if you are a sole trader trying to earn a living it is not so good.

I used to be a PowerSeller on eBay but I gave it up as it was just way too hard to deal with all the scumbags out there, I even had PayPal refund a customer that claimed they had not received an item, even though they had just been banned from eBay, now considering eBay own PayPal I found that a little had to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom