2012 olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I heard of the French radio today that Calais is to benefit greatly from the London games.
Apparently, accommodation in and around London will be so expensive that people wanting to see the games will lodge in Calais ( much cheaper) , travel to London on Eurostar and still save money.
Greedy and rip off Britain! When will they ever learn?

That's super Calais french artistic, export all to dose us.

Slightly off topic. If you haven't seen it, try and watch Twenty Twelve on the BBC, it's on the i player.

It's a very dry comedy about preparing for the Olympics. Trendy buzz words, Political Correctness gone made, Oneupmanship, Power crazed egotistical feminists, it's got it all.

We should have let the french have it.

Well French is the first language of the London Olympics!

All announcements will be in French first and then English
All billboards and official documentation is also in French first and then English

defy-one

I drive in Central London most days, but with all the road closures etc, seriously thinking about driving to the outskirts , say White City and using the bike in and around London.
It's gonna be a nightmare!!!! ..... Unless I can get over to women's volleyball ;-)

Drive what you drive and be happy

subaqua

What’s the point
Slightly off topic. If you haven't seen it, try and watch Twenty Twelve on the BBC, it's on the i player.

It's a very dry comedy about preparing for the Olympics. Trendy buzz words, Political Correctness gone made, Oneupmanship, Power crazed egotistical feminists, it's got it all.

its closer to the actual truth than you would like to imagine. some of the meetings I have sat in have made me cringe with the decisions that have ben made. the audit one was so spot on

PBancroft

Well French is the first language of the London Olympics!

All announcements will be in French first and then English
All billboards and official documentation is also in French first and then English

Source?

Personally I'm not too worried about Calais getting a bit of business due to the games - in fact, I'd say all the power to them. Visitors have got to go somewhere, and I'm sure the hotels will be busy enough over the games periods in central London, as will other places in Britain with decent links to the events.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Most of the tickets have gone to Brits, haven't they? There may be the odd corporate jolly basing itself abroad, but I'd expect most people to be basing themselves at home.

Unless you're in East London I don't reckon there will be a lot of disruption. Commuting journeys are well down during the summer anyway, and the number of Olympic journeys is a small drop in the ocean of the daily swarm of people travelling into London.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Pierre de Coubertin ( 1863-1937) is the founder of the modern olympics. The first modern olympics were in 1896 in Athens and it was then decided to have them every 4 years. Women were not allowed to compete in 1896 but were in 1900. There were only 16 participants in 1900. As PdC was French and started the modern olympics, I think it is only right that the first language should be French.

subaqua

What’s the point
Most of the tickets have gone to Brits, haven't they? There may be the odd corporate jolly basing itself abroad, but I'd expect most people to be basing themselves at home.

Unless you're in East London I don't reckon there will be a lot of disruption. Commuting journeys are well down during the summer anyway, and the number of Olympic journeys is a small drop in the ocean of the daily swarm of people travelling into London.

have you been to weymouth in the last 12 months. its traffic chaos with normal local traffic never mind when the Jubilympics come to town. that means the A31 and A35 are also going top be a bit bonkers with traffic.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

[QUOTE 1813816, member: 45"]It's demand that means that people will be commuting from France. Birmingham hotels were booking up last summer for the games. And hotels are charging what people will pay.

I don't think it's rip-off Britain.[/quote]
Really? Are people asked how much they are willing to pay? I dont think so.

Top Bottom