2013 New Year Resolution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pkeenan

Über Member
I'm sure I'm not the only person who's 2013 New Year Resolution is cycling related!? Would be interesting to read what others are hoping to get from the coming 12 months!

Mine is simple:
I got into cycling at the beginning of 2010 (when I bought my Spesh). I was slightly overweight and slow on the bike. By the summer of 2010, I was doing long distance riding (comfortably), and by the end of the summer I was doing respectable average speeds (17-19mph).

Over the last year or so I have completely let all cycling go. I can feel how unfit I am now (and it's visually noticable too... :blush:). SO.. the turn of a New Year seems a perfect landmark to get my act together.

The obvious thing - disciplined and regular rides, to ease myself back onto the saddle. I'm going to start by only riding my Thorn. It's heavier, and rides take longer - so it'll bring some of my basic muscle back as well as re-accustom me to longer hours in the saddle.
As things improve, I will then up the intent by getting back onto my racing bike, rejoining club rides, and working on improving my stamina and threshold.

Lastly, and the main thing that will make this something I have to live up to throughout the year, is that I'm going to go for an imperial century per month, which I will log on the thread on this forum.

Would love to know what others are thinking for their 2013. And I do apologise for posting this thread - I do understand that it's of no interest whatsoever to everybody, it's just helpful to write these things down and 'pledge' them, so to speak...!

Hope you've all had a great Christmas, and Happy New Year!

poynedexter

your other heavier bike wont help your fitness unless you have to work harder to meet your goals. if you ride it at the same intensity as your "good" bike, the training benefit will be the same. av speed "may" be different tho, as you point out it may take longer just.

Mine is simples.

Kick ass and take names later.

Oh and plenty of this :bicycle:

RE heavier bike, i am using my CX bike through winter and aim to climb as fast as i did on my light/good bike in 2012. Which translates into about a minute faster every 750ft of ascent (av gradient 7%). The Cx bike is 3 kg heavier.

Heres a few quotes to inspire your 2013:

“Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.”
- Thomas Jefferson

“Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.”
- Bill Bradley

2012 was when I went from a hybrid to a road bike and in the summer I was doing 40 mile rides a couple a times a week.ok you might say no big deal but for someone approaching his 60th I was happy.

Then had my operation in August and that was my cycling over for the year.

Just been told by the doc that it will be ok to resume cycling again so I intend to go out this morning and do about 3 miles,not much I know but I have to take it slowly.

Have got a couple of charity rides to do in the summer so hopefully 2013 will see me get back to where I was this year.

Wishing you all a good 2013

2012 was when I went from a hybrid to a road bike and in the summer I was doing 40 mile rides a couple a times a week.ok you might say no big deal but for someone approaching his 60th I was happy.

Then had my operation in August and that was my cycling over for the year.

Just been told by the doc that it will be ok to resume cycling again so I intend to go out this morning and do about 3 miles,not much I know but I have to take it slowly.

Have got a couple of charity rides to do in the summer so hopefully 2013 will see me get back to where I was this year.

Wishing you all a good 2013
Best of luck. Take it easy to start just in case. Before long you will be flying again. :thumbsup:

I went out this morning for a bit off road CX biking. It was snowing up the hills. :cold: Bits were going numb. Worth it though.

compo

Veteran
To lose weight. I have a first appointment with the NHS weight adviser at the local group on January 10th. Although I know what is needed to lose weight the support of a group must help with the motivation.

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
Apologies for late reponses - my house's internet was cut off for a day or so.

@The Central Scrutinizer - Best wishes for your return to the bike, hopefully 2013 will be a good one for you!

@Poynedexter - I understand your point. I am doing 25-30 mile rides on my Thorn (as I would be on my racer). It just makes miles slower, but not anything else. I'm still keeping my heart rate in zone 5(ish) [around 170bpm at my current fitness]. I keep my cadence up, put purposefully do slopes and hills (of which there are many here) in higher gears. So the benefit is that it's longer in the saddle, as the same effort and same ride on my racer is just quicker. (I also find this helps me build my leg muscles)

I'm not suggesting this as a proper training method! Just something for a month or so! (Obviously the Thorn is more comfortable!) :laugh:

@Pedrosanchezo - CX sounds fun!

Thanks all and Happy New Years!

Herbie

Veteran
I'm sure I'm not the only person who's 2013 New Year Resolution is cycling related!? Would be interesting to read what others are hoping to get from the coming 12 months!

Mine is simple:
I got into cycling at the beginning of 2010 (when I bought my Spesh). I was slightly overweight and slow on the bike. By the summer of 2010, I was doing long distance riding (comfortably), and by the end of the summer I was doing respectable average speeds (17-19mph).

Over the last year or so I have completely let all cycling go. I can feel how unfit I am now (and it's visually noticable too... :blush:). SO.. the turn of a New Year seems a perfect landmark to get my act together.

The obvious thing - disciplined and regular rides, to ease myself back onto the saddle. I'm going to start by only riding my Thorn. It's heavier, and rides take longer - so it'll bring some of my basic muscle back as well as re-accustom me to longer hours in the saddle.
As things improve, I will then up the intent by getting back onto my racing bike, rejoining club rides, and working on improving my stamina and threshold.

Lastly, and the main thing that will make this something I have to live up to throughout the year, is that I'm going to go for an imperial century per month, which I will log on the thread on this forum.

Would love to know what others are thinking for their 2013. And I do apologise for posting this thread - I do understand that it's of no interest whatsoever to everybody, it's just helpful to write these things down and 'pledge' them, so to speak...!

i think we've all had periods of laziness and time off our bikes...don't worry about it....i'm planning to spend the last hour of 2012 on my bike and the early hours of 2013 on my bike....am cycling 4 miles to sisters house to see in the new year then home in the early hours....weather permitting of course

Realistically, the weight of the bike you are riding is largely irrelevant - it's the effort you put in to riding it that matters. In that sense you can train effectively on any bike, regardless of weight. Just 'keep the strain on the chain' as they say.

(I also find this helps me build my leg muscles)

Big muscles are not needed. Better aerobic capacity is what is needed.

martint235

Dog on a bike
LEL looms over 2013 for me so the aim is to be ready by July. Milestones will include:

1. Century a month
2. Dropping around 1 stone in weight
3. Gaining 1mph average speed over 100 miles
4. Kicking alcohol into touch once and for all ( :tongue: )

bainy16

my goals for 2013 are to cycle 3000 miles in year (i know its not much compared to some people but have to start somewhere)i want to get fit enough to cycle at least 1 hundred mile ride in the year also to drop 2 stone in weight ^_^

david k

Hi

Mine is simple:

good luck to you

im aiming for 1,000 cycling miles this year

you use a tracker like endomondo?

adamangler

Veteran
Got into cycling properly about a month ago.

My first goal is a 50 mile sportive end of feb
Then hopefully build to a century and who knows...not ruling out getting into racing

Top Bottom