2013 Transfer news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Good, I didn't think he should have joined Sky anyway, and I like the idea of British riders in all sorts of top teams.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
This piece illustrates all that is wrong with the scramble for riders with World Tour points - Sohrabi was basically signed by Lotto because he had won the Asia Tour and had lots of points. Of course, in his first year on the World Tour he was never likely to do that much, but as a result he has no points this year, and therefore gets discarded. So there is a disincentive for teams that don't have existing strength in depth to make any longer-term investments in riders. Sohrabi might have become a decent team rider given the chance to adapt and develop. Now we'll never know.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
This piece illustrates all that is wrong with the scramble for riders with World Tour points - Sohrabi was basically signed by Lotto because he had won the Asia Tour and had lots of points. Of course, in his first year on the World Tour he was never likely to do that much, but as a result he has no points this year, and therefore gets discarded. So there is a disincentive for teams that don't have existing strength in depth to make any longer-term investments in riders. Sohrabi might have become a decent team rider given the chance to adapt and develop. Now we'll never know.
Well he's learnt something from the experience which without the points he wouldn't have got though - I don't see how in a different system he would ever have been picked up by a World Tour team.
But he ought to have obtained a 2 year contract up front. He can go and win again on the Asia tour and do it again though.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
But he ought to have obtained a 2 year contract up front.

I think that would be one answer. But the problem remains that need for points. Many people have argued that the points obtained by a rider when riding with Team X should stay with Team X even if they transfer to Team Y. I think this might be better.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
I think that would be one answer. But the problem remains that need for points. Many people have argued that the points obtained by a rider when riding with Team X should stay with Team X even if they transfer to Team Y. I think this might be better.
It's not perfect - maybe split them 1/2 each but then it gets over complicated.
What is just absurd is that Lotto can benefit from his points for World Tour qualification when Sohrabi isn't on the team.

Top Bottom