2014/2015 season Man flu/lurgy .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
.... is an absolute belter .... Anyone else been stricken yet?

First tinglings on the back of the soft palate Saturday afternoon, and mild sinus/fever.
Stupidly decided to ride a fast 40 miler on Sunday morning as first outing on new bike - kill or cure, actually was mostly OK and rode quite well. Bit shivery when got back, showered, ate and went shopping with Mrs FF.
When we got back I was totally floored, no energy at all. Watched Apollo 13 (wa-hey). As the evening progressed, more sore soft palate, sinus, blocked nose, headache, shivers, sweats. No appetite.
And so it went on in mild variation. Mon/Tues I had a nose like the dripping tap, couldn't move without a tissue under my nose to catch the drips. Tues/Wed the nose cleared-up, but the chest started to rattle and little sign of the fever abating. Thurs morning is the first time I have ventured out of bed. I still have the basic symptoms, but they are milder today.
Usually I kick these things in 48 hours, but this seems very persistent and has washed-me out completely. Not eating for a few days hasn't helped, so I'm trying to redress that now. I do need to go to work tomorrow.

Anyone else had it or is it going around elsewhere?

screenman

Legendary Member
Sounds like a cold to me, flu would not be that kind to you. Stay in bed for 2 weeks and get looked after by many personal assistants is my advice.

Fubar

Guru

First tinglings on the back of the soft palate Saturday afternoon, and mild sinus/fever.
Stupidly decided to ride a fast 40 miler on Sunday morning as first outing on new bike - kill or cure, actually was mostly OK and rode quite well. Bit shivery when got back, showered, ate and went shopping with Mrs FF.
When we got back I was totally floored, no energy at all. Watched Apollo 13 (wa-hey). As the evening progressed, more sore soft palate, sinus, blocked nose, headache, shivers, sweats. No appetite.
And so it went on in mild variation. Mon/Tues I had a nose like the dripping tap, couldn't move without a tissue under my nose to catch the drips. Tues/Wed the nose cleared-up, but the chest started to rattle and little sign of the fever abating. Thurs morning is the first time I have ventured out of bed. I still have the basic symptoms, but they are milder today.
Usually I kick these things in 48 hours, but this seems very persistent and has washed-me out completely. Not eating for a few days hasn't helped, so I'm trying to redress that now. I do need to go to work tomorrow.

Loads at work have some kind of lurgy, first sign for me was a poor turbo session on Tuesday night - felt like I had no energy whatsoever. Today feeling really tired and a bit irritable (not that unusual though...) and just generally feeling a bit rubbish but not symptomatic - yet.

PK99

Legendary Member

I've been off the bike for the best part of 2 months with a very persistent chest infection, a 2 1/2 year old nephew has bee hospitalised with something that sounds vry much like yours. My GP tells ne there is a nasty one doing the rounds.....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Sounds like a cold to me, flu would not be that kind to you. Stay in bed for 2 weeks and get looked after by many personal assistants is my advice.
I'd agree. I think it's a crappy cold, but much worst than I've had for many a year. I've also had the flu-jab this year (though that's no guarantee).

potsy

Rambler
I'd agree. I think it's a crappy cold, but much worst than I've had for many a year. I've also had the flu-jab this year (though that's no guarantee).
Similar here, had my flu jab but am now about 6 days into this latest lurgy.
They don't half seem to linger on, currently dosed up on Sudafed and drinking nothing but hot water with lemon.

Thankfully my appetite has not been affected :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
This deadly lurgy seems to be able to cross the gender barrier, I feel like rubbish! Started with a dry tickly cough yesterday, now it's a sore throat, headache etc

Luckily, I am already taking potent antibiotics for my battered leg if any bacterial decide to take advantage as well as the virus!

Appetite seems ok, except I am craving junk food!

Ganymede

Veteran
Mr G has it - spent 2 days in bed which is amazingly long for him. Fever, cough, quite nasty. He never gets colds.

We are on our skiing holiday so he is a bit :sad:.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Mr G has it - spent 2 days in bed which is amazingly long for him. Fever, cough, quite nasty. He never gets colds.

We are on our skiing holiday so he is a bit :sad:.
Bummer :sad:
I usually get the lurgy within 48 hours of starting my holiday, so hopefully I've already got this one out the way.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Similar here, had my flu jab but am now about 6 days into this latest lurgy.
They don't half seem to linger on, currently dosed up on Sudafed and drinking nothing but hot water with lemon.

Thankfully my appetite has not been affected :whistle:
Vegetables may assist with a speedy recovery :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My sisters work in one of those sick buildings - everyone gets ill if there are sniffles. Me fine and dandy. Lots of vitamins on standby, had a couple of back of throat tickles, whacked it away with vitamins.

We are in a new building, but it doesn't use air con - all this new fangled stuff, which means either too cold or too hot in certain offices. Fortunately the germs aren't spread about the building.

Yup...had to have a day off work last week (very unusual and felt really bad about it), felt better for a couple of days and then BAM! Absolutely floored me and had to take another day off...felt like death warmed up! Had a day of sleep yesterday and was back at work this morning...still full of it , but felt like a new man!!!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Had it all week. Same days as FF. no cycle commuting - car all week. Over the worst but chest still groggy.

flu jab stopped it becoming worse.

Top Bottom