2014 VooDoo Marasa build.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm building up a NOS 2014 Voodoo Marasa frame as a 1 X 9, 44t chainring, Shimano Altus shifter and RD with an extension and 11-50t cassette. I'm in the US and had been looking for a hybrid ot MTB disc brake frame for this build but wasn't having any luck in my size. The VooDoo popped up on Ebay in the UK and was cheap enough that even with shipping it was worth it. It was evidently warranty stock that had been released for sale once that model year's warranties had expired. I've built a few of those over here using Miele (Canadian), Schwinn or Marin frames and have always had great luck. However I ran into an issue yesterday with the VooDoo. The RD hanger was bent outward and I assumed it had been damaged in shipment, probably by the USPS. I was able to straighten it but when I went to reinstall it it didn't fit in the recess in the dropout. I quickly realized that was the cause of the damage, it had 2 points of interference and when they tightened the retaining screw it had caused the hanger to bend. I had to file the bottom of the dropout right behind the axle slot and do a considerable amount of filing on the bottom and backside of the hanger in front of the axle slot before it would finally seat in the droupout. Even with all that it's a snug fit and the outline of the hanger doesn't quite match the dropout. Are things like this common on these bikes? It looks like a pretty decent frame otherwise, not wild about some of the graphics but I like the matte gray finish and the headbadge. If I like it it will be used for some light gravel riding, if I don't it will be getting sold. Well maybe, the bike market here is in the dumps right now. Definitely a buyer's market.

It's this frame, this is a 2014 right? I'm using a black aluminum fork I had bought for something else.

voodoomarasasilver_360_0125.jpg

Fork 50%.jpg

OP
OP
Murray Missile

Murray Missile

Regular
I'm hoping to wrap it up today, I had to switch from the 11-50t cassette to an 11-36t and remove the hanger extension, the Shimano Altus just wan't up to the task and if I got it set to smoothly shift in one direction it would hang and then skip in the other direction. No amount of fiddling with the trim adjustment and B screw would get it to work but once I made the swap all was good. I'm running brake cables this morning and since I'm using mechanical discs instead of the hydraulic brakes it would have come with I have to run a continuous cable housing to the rear brake. After cutting the the housing that matches my Jagwire LEX platinum silver braided derailleur cable housing for the rear the remaining piece for the front brake was short by 1 inch...... :banghead: I have a 10 ft. roll of plain black Jagwire KEB SL compressionless housing purchased for my tandem which will not require even half that so I thought that might be a good upgrade to the braking system since I had plenty to spare. I'll have to buy more of the Jagwire P-O-P ferrules for the tandem but that's no big deal. Of course it doesn't match the derailleur housing so I'm now also redoing that as well with plain black Jagwire LEX. I had initially thought the silver would make a good accent to the silver graphics, and it did, but now that the plain black is on there I like it much better. Hopefully, weather permitting, I can post pics of the finished product in a few hours. Fortunately I can still use the other cable housings on another project.

OP
OP
Murray Missile

Murray Missile

Regular
The initial test ride is promising, the 36t big cog is almost too much, the 50t would have been ridiculously low. I'll need some more saddle time before I decide if it's a keeper or not but we have severe weather moving in so that will have to wait for a better day. My usual photo spot was occupied so excuse the background but here it is. I know it's nothing special in the UK but here in the Midwestern US it is somewhat unique. Pretty sure it's the only one on my block LOL.

IMG_0151 30%.jpg

IMG_0152 30%.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Saddle looks a bit too plump - less is more for comfort on saddles. Oh, and get some plugs in the end of those bars ASAP. I've seen the effects of missing bar plugs - rather nasty to fall upon as they skewer your body. Otherwise, looks cool.

OP
OP
Murray Missile

Murray Missile

Regular
That was just a quick photo op after getting it off the stand. I wasn't sure if I was keeping it so I threw one of those cheap saddles on until I decided. My saddle of choice on newer bikes is the ISM Adamo Prologue. I couldn't remember where I put the plugs yesterday but I found them last night and put them in 1st thing this morning.

OP
OP
Murray Missile

Murray Missile

Regular
Didn't quite fit so it's on it's way to it's new home. A young (compared to me LOL) couple with a pair of vintage VooDoo MTB's saw it on FB Marketplace and drove 2 hours one way to get it. They were thrilled with it and she was nearly as tall as he was so they can both ride it. Glad to see it go to someone who will really appreciate it.

IMG_0160.JPG

Top Bottom