2016 Olympic Road Races and Time Trials *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's a really tough course. First, it is long. Second, it has some serious climbs, several of which are taken more than once, but third, it finishes with a a descent to a flat last 20km. Finally, it also has some cobbled sections, which will trouble the lightweight riders. So it's not one for the pure climbers, but teams will need a some climbers if they want to try to control the race in any way. What a team will need is essentially a classics squad+. It means that I am not at all sure whether Froome would be my chosen pick over Thomas for our protected rider. Luke Rowe absolutely has to be in there. Do we take both of the Yates brothers, or just one - and which one? And then we have the powerhouse riders who can get over the climbs and also be competitive if there is a breakaway or we need to TT it to the end: Stannard and Cummings. But again, both? If not, which one? We almost have too many riders to select from this time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What a team will need is essentially a classics squad+.
Thomas, Rowe, Froome, Adam Yates, Stannard - Thomas as plan A with Stannard as a freelancer. Much as I love Cummings, has he shown himself much in classics? But it might even help morale if we have a multi-GT-stage winner only making the reserves! The main reason to pick Froome is because the TT riders have to come from the same squads and Adam Yates over his brother simply because Adam's won a classic.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Thomas, Rowe, Froome, Adam Yates, Stannard - Thomas as plan A with Stannard as a freelancer. Much as I love Cummings, has he shown himself much in classics? But it might even help morale if we have a multi-GT-stage winner only making the reserves! The main reason to pick Froome is because the TT riders have to come from the same squads and Adam Yates over his brother simply because Adam's won a classic.

I think the rule about TT riders is a stupid one, but yes, it's a rule. So Froome has to be in regardless.

oldroadman

Veteran
I think the rule about TT riders is a stupid one, but yes, it's a rule. So Froome has to be in regardless.
I believe it's an IOC rule, not UCI. And yes, it's daft. Same as only 5 riders for team pursuit, one of which has to ride the omnium. I would get rid of that, bring in a Madison and individual pursuit for men and women. As I've never seen a women's Madison, it would at least be interesting!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
@ColinJ
@frank9755
@HLaB
@Spartak
@Justinslow

...but that's just five names off the top of my head, don't know if they're the best five on the forum, and in any case I'm amazed that we're able to enter a team under IOC rules.
You forgot @blazed !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ
@frank9755
@HLaB
@Spartak
@Justinslow

...but that's just five names off the top of my head, don't know if they're the best five on the forum, and in any case I'm amazed that we're able to enter a team under IOC rules.
Well, that was a rather a strange way to find the thread! :laugh:

As for selecting the men's team ... I agree with @Flying_Monkey!

And as for the rule about selection for the TT ... I agree with @Flying_Monkey!

The quotas for the women's events will not be available until early June, based on rankings at that time.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't think it's Cav's type of course though.

Presumably Cav will be focusing on the track for the Olympics and then aiming for the Worlds, which should suit him much better.

Interesting to note that both Froome and Kennaugh are in Sky's squad for the Ardennes classics but Thomas isn't. Nor is Rowe. I'd imagine a race like LBL might be a good pointer for Rio, even if it's a long way off and likely to be very different weather conditions.

My only query about Froome would be whether he's that bothered about the Olympics. I imagine he might be more interested in preparing for the Vuelta.

In any case, I think the only Brit likely to win on the road in Rio is Lizzie Armitstead.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Interesting to note that both Froome and Kennaugh are in Sky's squad for the Ardennes classics but Thomas isn't. Nor is Rowe. I'd imagine a race like LBL might be a good pointer for Rio, even if it's a long way off and likely to be very different weather conditions.
Or it might signify that Thomas and Rowe are hoping to peak later in the summer than Froome (definitely aiming for the Tour) and Kennaugh (who knows?).

In any case, I think the only Brit likely to win on the road in Rio is Lizzie Armitstead.
Likely? I think it's far more of a lottery than that!

zizou

Veteran
Would imagine Swift before Rowe. He might be a good outside bet for a medal, although dont think it would be gold as he always has the habit of getting boxed in during sprints.

I'd take both Yates over Stannard as the course looks far too hilly for him, if it was a couple of laps of the finishing circuit he might surive but not 4

Top Bottom