2016 Olympic Road Races and Time Trials *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beastie

Guru
image.jpg

First things first

Reactions: 2IT

beastie

Guru
image.jpg

beastie

Guru
It's a LBL type rider who will win.
Adam Yates, Geraint Thomas, Froome, Simon Yates and Peter Kennaugh.

I think that Adam Yates suits this parcours the best. He should be protected by Kennaugh and his brother. Thomas will be a hard man to beat if he gets to the drag in a lead group. Froome to attack from early on the last climb.
I will be DS if required.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Looks as though Thomas may be targeting the Tour de Romandie

Froome and Kwiatkowski are down for both LBL and Romandie (according to PCS, though I don't know where they get their info from since it's not confirmed on the Sky website).

I get that individual riders' participation in particular races is determined largely by how they fit in with their overall racing program, but Sky have never entered Thomas in any of the Ardennes classics apart from Amstel Gold once, in 2014, and he was DNF. Clearly Sky don't see him as an "LBL type rider". He's never done Lombardy either, which is surely another useful indicator for the type of rider who might do well on this Olympics course.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Well done Peter Kennaugh for pulling out of the Olympics knowing that he wouldn't be 100%, must of been a tough decision. This course should suit Steve Cummings.

jarlrmai

Veteran
That course is going to be a great watch.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
It's great for the race and the fans, but I find it strange that Chris Froome and others are in the RideLondon just 6 days before the Olympic road race.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's great for the race and the fans, but I find it strange that Chris Froome and others are in the RideLondon just 6 days before the Olympic road race.

Is it confirmed that Froome will be at the RideLondon? The team hasn't been announced on the Sky website. It would be great if he is but it sounds highly unlikely!

I guess he'll also be targeting the Vuelta rather than the Tour of Britain.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy

Don't forget 'recovery' in cycling doesn't mean total rest - keeping some miles in the legs can be more valuable than doing nothing, or just training camp. He's probably looking at it as part of his build up. A by the numbers guy like Froome isn't going to risk it all on a jolly.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
“I’m looking for recover after this race. I think I’ll ride RideLondon next Sunday as a one-day race before we fly to Rio, and then we’ll be there for a week before [the road race], to look at the roads and start training again,” Froome said in his post-stage press conference at the Tour.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...don-surrey-classic-264613#j8gsRIh4AqiOSp1Y.99

Good stuff.

I wonder if there's a hint to the organisers in there to maybe consider moving the date of the national championships...

Buddfox

Veteran
Don't forget 'recovery' in cycling doesn't mean total rest - keeping some miles in the legs can be more valuable than doing nothing, or just training camp. He's probably looking at it as part of his build up. A by the numbers guy like Froome isn't going to risk it all on a jolly.

Quite - and I don't expect him to be featuring at the end. It will be a recovery ride which he's doing for the obvious PR benefits. Why just do a simple training ride on your own when you can present yourself to the fans. They'll love it - I think it's great!

Top Bottom