2016 Olympic Road Races and Time Trials *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Well well.

Well done froome, probably disappointed but still.

iandg

Legendary Member
Bronze is a disappointment from a British cycling point of view but as half my family is from Bern I'll take that great bit of cycling from the Bernese.

If it hadn't been Cancellara with the Gold maybe.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Cookson has somebody holding an umbrella over his head. Pretty darn sad....

I recall standing on the Victoria Monument in 2007, seeing Cancellara go by. It was if he was two millimetres off the ground. Quite, quite wonderful.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I recall standing on the Victoria Monument in 2007, seeing Cancellara go by. It was if he was two millimetres off the ground. Quite, quite wonderful.

That seems distinctly suspicious. Maybe they should have checked if he was wearing a jetpack rather than worrying about whether his bike had a motor...

Seriously, though - fantastic result and the perfect way to end a career.

oldroadman

Veteran
Thoughts from the ITT.
Masterful performance from Spartacus. His descending in the wet alone was worth some seconds, showed how to do it with great lines, touches of brakes in the right time, and keeping it all smooth. Rohan Dennis probably got a bit wound up and started too fast, unless it was a strategy to panic the opposition, which was not going to work with the quality of riders at the top of the field. The bike change was worth about 16 seconds by my count.
Froome pacing strategy was good, he executed well, and in the end simply didn't quite have the power. The Tour takes it toll.
G making 9th when he only came in to the race at 24 hours notice - well done to him, still sore from that nasty crash on Saturday.
Dumoulin may have been closer without the injury and he'll be one to watch, there are plenty of big performances to come from him.
Phinney, five minutes lost, enough said.

So far as the women were concerned, it was interesting to see a 42 year old beat a (just back from a ban) 36 year old. In fact I was very pleased, there is no need for a repeat of 2012 when another eastern ex-doper won a race. The faces on the podium said it all.
And GB selection of Pooley? Didn't work, just because she was good in 2008(!!) does not mean she should be able to go away, start triathlon, then wander back in and take a place which should have gone to a younger and more committed rider. I wonder how Molly Weaver and Dani King feel seeing that result, 14th and over 2 minutes adrift. Just not good enough, and GB coaches need to be asked some hard questions. Hope they have actually learned a lesson.

Let's hope that the track team produce some wins. More medals, more controllables, and less risk, if the coaches are to be believed. Good luck folks.

Top Bottom