2016 Olympic Road Races and Time Trials *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Oops, they've woken up again.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I noticed that the organisers had a plan B for the cobbled section as it looks as though the tarmac on the other side of the barriers runs the entire length

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Is it "normal" for chains to fall off like this over the cobbles?

I wouldn't have said to this extent, but the cobbles do look quite rough and we're used to watching cobbled classics with top class riders and mechanics. I'd guess the mechanicing and mechanical quality is a lot more variable in an Olympic event? Some of the national squads can be pretty strapped for cash and equipment.

Buddfox

Veteran
I think it's not helped that they have a descent onto the first cobbled section, so they are hitting it at speed, and it's a sharp change of gradient. This I think is also causing the problems with the seat posts - when you hit the flat, your backside bangs down onto the seat and puts it under extra strain, so it slips down.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I wouldn't have said to this extent, but the cobbles do look quite rough and we're used to watching cobbled classics with top class riders and mechanics. I'd guess the mechanicing and mechanical quality is a lot more variable in an Olympic event? Some of the national squads can be pretty strapped for cash and equipment.

I think it's not helped that they have a descent onto the first cobbled section, so they are hitting it at speed, and it's a sharp change of gradient. This I think is also causing the problems with the seat posts - when you hit the flat, your backside bangs down onto the seat and puts it under extra strain, so it slips down.
Good points, thanks.

Assume Dumoulin baled out to save his arm for the TT.
Yeah, that was my guess.

Top Bottom