2017/18 CX season race reports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
We don't appear to have a thread for people to share their race reports, so I thought I'd start one...

Today I did my third race of the season, Round 2 of the East Kent CX league at Newington Community College in Ramsgate, V40s race. The circuit was mostly grass, twisting around the school playing fields, with a couple of tall hurdles (not rideable) and a section of logs (five in quick succession, easily bunny-hoppable). I made the mistake of going off too fast, picked up quite a few places in the opening couple of laps but then started to tail off and gradually slipped back down the field. The combination of the bumpy ground and very twisty nature of the circuit meant that by four laps in, my upper arms and shoulders were really starting to ache. I settled into a rhythm, though, and had a mini-tussle with another rider - we kept taking it in turns to pass each other at different parts of the circuit. Good fun. I'm totally shagged now though.

Previous two races were the London Cross league events at Happy Valley, Brighton, and Herne Hill Velodrome. Happy Valley is a big expansive circuit, very fast, with a couple of technical sections in the woods, and a nice slippery bank with a 180º hairpin. There had been a bit of rain overnight and a brief shower during the race but there were no real muddy bits for our race - although by the time the seniors race started, the ground was getting churned up quite nicely and the slippery bank claimed a good number of victims.

Last week at Herne Hill was a superb race. I love the circuit there - so compact, with some lovely fast sections and some nicely tricky technical bits. Again, it was warm and dry, so that made for a fast race. The grass in the middle of the velodrome was quite long but the 'racing line' had mostly been flattened down by the time of our race so you could get up a decent bit of speed on the straights. Tried to ride up 'Big Bob' a couple of times but didn't quite make it - first time due to another rider getting in my way, second time due to hitting a rut. Bits of the course are quite terrifying to watch, with drops off steep banks straight into loose, gravelly corners, but if you pick your line, you can take them at speed and it's a real buzz. Plus Herne Hill is such an atmospheric venue, it's a great place to race.

Probably won't be doing the next couple of London league races but looking forward to the next EKCX race in a few weeks time...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Last week at Herne Hill was a superb race.

Do they still have that patch of sand at Herne hill?

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't recall any sand patches, although the ground was so dry and dusty, it would have been hard to tell the difference.

First time I've been there since the new pavilion was put up. The whole place is looking very smart.

Did the Eastern League Mistley CX race today. No room in the Grand Vets so had to do the hour junior/senior race. Not the best preperation for the race as it was a weekend away with the girlfriend, so had a few beers and went to a gig last night. On the practice lap there was a log to bunny hop or run/jump over I went for the bunny hop option, made it no problem. Being a old fart I was gridded at the back. Race started and when we got to the log I went for the bunny hop and ended on my arse and got my foot stuck in a wheel. By the time I had extracated myself I believed myself to be last. Spent the rest of the race trying to chase people down, I did not see another rider in front till halfwway through the 2nd lap, that was the only encouragemnt that was needed and I was onto his back wheel in no time, then onto the next, overtook 5 people but came off 4 times and managed to headbutt a tree letting some of the people past and I had to re-overtake them. . I thought I was 5th from last, ended up 55 out of 66 so fairly chuffed as I was twice as old as most of them.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Last Sunday was the Manchester Wheelers/Heaton park bash. Fast and firm off camber job up and down the Papal mount if you know it. Could have warmed up more but either way the dregs of a cold gave me a pursuiters cough which lasted the best part of a week after.

Today was the Port Sunlight Wheelers/Bebbington Oval do over on the Wirral. Flat and wide open which had been thoroughly Brian'ed and turned into a muddy trug for the best part. That said the better drained parts of the course were still fast and some smart course design made for fun racing.

IMG_20171022_193610.jpg

Did a CX race at Bury St Edmunds on saturday, it rained all day and the course was proper CX, ie a mud fest. Got into the old mans race this time,. didn't help my position much, 49th out of 66. First lap I got a bit brave in a fast corner and did a spectacular low side slide for several feet. Left lever full of mud and grass, bent my thumb, scratched my inner thigh. Ended up in a mainly 2 man race with a huge guy from Ipswich CC, ( you can see him in the picture below). We changed positions 4 or 5 times, he had his sensible head on and ran bits of the course where I rode it and was actualy slower. I finally distanced him on the last lap and had a good old one on one sprint with some other rider who had been closing me down without me noticing till the last 50 yards. Was pleased I managed the log bunny hop every lap ( picture below) and finished grining like a cheshire cat, soaked through.
20171104_123254c.jpg

Spartak