2017 Brompton M6L - Brake cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mad_dr

Hi all - thanks for having me!

I have a 3 month old M6L here in Vancouver which I use for commuting. I’m really enjoying the bike so far apart from a few disappointing quality issues (loud creaking when pedaling, sticking hub shifter and some occasional gear slips).

I’m gradually replacing the less expensive parts for their Black Edition counterparts. Handlebars and pentaclip done so far. Seatpost, calipers, chain ring/crank and pedals later. Wheels maybe at some stage. I might upgrade a few parts too, to Ti versions or better versions, such as MKS pedals, etc.

I have a new set of Black Edition 2017 brake levers that look fairly straightforward to fit but when I tried the other day, it appeared that the brake cables on the bike are ‘sacrificial’ because there’s a ferrule at each end and caliper, shrouds and brake levers strung onto it in between. I don’t have new cables at this stage.

I couldn’t see any way of removing the cable from the current levers without cutting the cable and extracting the (cut and ruined) inner cores out of the caliper and the lever. So - a couple of quick questions:

1. Can the brake cables be removed without cutting the ferrule(s) off - if so, how?
2. If I have to remove the ferrule(s) and buy a replacement cable, do I need a special tool to crimp the rear ferrule on to the new cable at the caliper? If not, what is the correct way to crimp the new ferrule on?
3. If the new cables need ferrules crimping on at the calipers, do these crimp ferrules come with the new cables?
4. Is it possible to buy new cable inners and keep using my 3 month old sleeves?

Thanks so much!
Andy

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You could keep the levers in the bits box, and replace them when you need new cables?

1. You can sometimes pull the ferrules off, depending upon how well they were crimped on. You may not have a cable that you can feed through the inner after that though.

2. I use a set off cheap wire strippers that have a crimping tool on them. I have used pliers (gently!) I'm the past.

3. Iirc, yes, although it won't break the bank to buy some - if you have a local bike shop you use regularly, they might even give you some from the bits box.

4. As long as the outers are in good condition, and have no damage on them, it should be OK.

You may get away with cutting the ferrules off if you have enough room after the clamp to reclamp the shortened cable - the key would be to cut as close to the cable as you can, and use good cutters so that you have a clean cable end that you can feed into the outer.

OP
OP
M

mad_dr

Thanks very much for your reply - very helpful! I’ll talk to my local Brompton dealer and will see if they can supply ferrules. If so, I’ll try to prise the current ferrules off carefully. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try carefully clipping the existing ferrules off.

Then I’ll try reusing the existing cables with the new brake levers. If that doesn’t work I’ll need to get new cables. Either way I’ll need to crimp new ferrules on so I’ll try to find some crimpers or will use pliers if I can’t find any.

Thanks again for your help!

Top Bottom