2017 Specialized Crosstrail Elite - please help me switch to rigid carbon fork!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raphael4

Hi guys. I recently bought a Crosstrail Elite XL. I came to it from 18-23C tyred road bikes and lightweight hybrids, so I really notice the extra weight this sturdy bike has!

The bike is front heavy due to the Suntour NCR suspension fork, which as a commuter I find provides absolutely zero advantage whatsoever. I'm purely on tarmac. I want to switch to a carbon rigid fork, but my Google search is telling me I need a special "suspension corrected" fork (?). Can anyone help? The bike has PM disc brakes and mudguard eyelets (important), and a thru-axle (12x100)mm

I have measured fork axle crown to and it comes to 470mm (within 5mm), the trail is about 4-5cm. I notice most CF forks on Ebay have an axle-to-crown measurement of 420mm ish.

What are my options?

Attachments

• spesh.jpg
    spesh.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 259

Jason

go back to the shop you bought it from - sure they can help

vickster

Legendary Member
Try a Specialized concept store?

Why did you buy the bike if it’s the wrong tool for the job? I’d sell it and get a Whyte R7 model or similar, ie a lightweight hybrid

OP
OP
R

raphael4

go back to the shop you bought it from - sure they can help

Second hand purchase. Wanted a sturdy commuter because i'm getting older and want comfort :tongue:

Sell it or get on with it.
You must have known what it was like when you bought it? Has the fork got a lockout you can use?

I'm totally new to MTB and have never ridden suspension before. I thought it would be an assistance over roadhumps and potholes, but instead its been a hindrance. I still feel all the bumps and it's just a dead weight to me.

I don't think you would need the whole 470mm. You need to allow for a little sag.

So I should look for a 450mm axle-to-crown fork, with the same rake?

I am wondering if this is the done thing, or is it something that completely messes up the handling of the bike and don't do it?

FishFright

More wheels than sense

I am wondering if this is the done thing, or is it something that completely messes up the handling of the bike and don't do it?

That sounds about right to me and it's done pretty often . It wont break your bike or anything like that,.

SteveF

I had a look into this and for an older crosstrail, I could not find anything that matched exactly, the best I could find was: https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/rigid-forks-c51/surly-karate-monkey-29-fork-p40

I did not go forward with it, but may do in the future.

EDIT: Oops this isn't carbon it's steel

C.J

Über Member
Hi guys. I recently bought a Crosstrail Elite XL. I came to it from 18-23C tyred road bikes and lightweight hybrids, so I really notice the extra weight this sturdy bike has!

The bike is front heavy due to the Suntour NCR suspension fork, which as a commuter I find provides absolutely zero advantage whatsoever. I'm purely on tarmac. I want to switch to a carbon rigid fork, but my Google search is telling me I need a special "suspension corrected" fork (?). Can anyone help? The bike has PM disc brakes and mudguard eyelets (important), and a thru-axle (12x100)mm

I have measured fork axle crown to and it comes to 470mm (within 5mm), the trail is about 4-5cm. I notice most CF forks on Ebay have an axle-to-crown measurement of 420mm ish.

What are my options?

A few years ago, (well it was probably about 8 ish years ago now, maybe even longer) i got some forks from here : http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&rb=14&
To put on an old mountain bike i had.

OP
OP
R

raphael4

I am beginning to see some potential problems here. Firstly, my wheel uses a 12x100mm axle. This doesn't seem typical. Most are 15mm or QR. So my fork options seem to already be very limited. What can I do, convert my hub to accept a QR? Is that safe?

Top Bottom