2019 Goats League - Climb 24 - Col Sant Pantaleon - South Side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Ride opens for attempts at midnight 10th June 2019, and closes on Midnight on the 4th August 2019, ride must be completed within that window for it to count otherwise you get the time of the slowest rider plus 5%.

Featuring as the penultimate stage on the 2018 Giro we have the 17.65Km 1154m ascent of the Col Sant_Pantaleon. Tucked away in the Aosta Valley, the Col Saint-Pantaléon begins in the small town of Chambave. Being a relatively unknown climb in the quiet border regions of France and Italy, it offers a tranquil alternative to some of the more popular ascents of the Alps (that is, when the Giro d’Italia doesn’t visit). Topping out at a gradient of 12.7%, the Pantaléon twists and turns via switchbacks and open roads for 16km. Near the summit, it’s possible to see the legendary Matterhorn on a clear day.

profile.colsantpantaleon.png

Post your times in the thread and I'll update the Goats League Spreadsheet

Please include your BRVR User/Display Name to give other riders pacers to chase if they so desire.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Thanks @Aleman
Everything ok, not seeing much of you recently?

SmP-62

Hi @Aleman, some minor remarks (don't want to look as a PITA)

I suggest to add South Side to the topic name Col Saint Pantaleon, as there is also North side ride on BRVR (to avoid confusion).

Regarding opening and closing dates I don't think you want to repeat time frame from climb 23.

OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I cut and paste the text from a previous ride then edit it ... Forgot to change the dates ... DOH!!

I'll amend later tonight when I fire the computer up again.

Edit: Done

Last edited:

SmP-62

.... Chapeau @SmP-62 . You’re absolutely flying up the climbs this year. I’ve improved but I think you’ve improved twice as much.

Hi and thanks.

I totaly changed my riding style and trainings from last year.

Now I ride 99% of the climb seated, before I was most of the time on the pedals ... yes, also more than an hour on long climbs. As in young years with very low cadence around 60-70.

I decide to increase cadence (years are flying by ...) and needed a lot of time to feel familiar with that, trained up to 110, now my 'native' cadence is cca 95-105 (also IRL), everything lower feels strange to me (with exeption on extreme steepness), higher cadence is not a problem. And I use much bigger sprockets as before (before 27 ... now 32 with compact, works nice on Campa Super Record, oficially 29 is max).

As you know, proper bike fitting also improved my times, my saddle was much to low.

I also change intensity and lenght of sessions on turbo. BRVR challenges helped a lot. The sessions are shorter, more frequent and much more intense, better motivation based on competition also helped ... I still do all Cyclechat 2019 Goat League rides in official time frame, just don't post my times here any more.

IRL the shorter sessions don't have negative impact on my 3-7 days moutaun tours. The endurance is still there, I just spinn much more as before. My heart rate went down. My former 'problem' on climbs, not to be able to increase speed when it flattens out, is gone and also much better acceleration is possible with more flexible cadence (also seated).

Ride safe ....

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm hoping that the current amnesity on ride close dates still applies, had a dose of food poisoning last week, there was no riding happening, no way, no how.

So, let's talk about tonight.
Off we go, blimey this is hard work, I know I've been off the bike for a week, but this is a bit much, anyway, let's push on. So push on I did, but it's sooooo hard, I'm making decent time, but oh my word I'm struggling and it's not getting any easier. Keep those legs pumping, you can do it, half way there now, I'm beating the coach, I'm ahead of schedule, I've got some time in the bank if I need it.
Then I get to around 7 miles, something's wrong here, the bike is bouncing around, the last time it felt like this the clamp opened and I got dumped into the laundry basket, look back, no that's fine, but we're thumping along now, is the thingy under the front wheel a bit squiffy and I'm rocking on that somehow? No that's fine. Maybe my bottom bracket has gone, doesn't feel like it really, it's not clicking, this is a thump, and now it's staggeringly hard to pedal, I can barely turn the gears, then I see it. I've got a PUNCTURE!!!!! :cursing:
It must have been on the way when I started, and it's been getting flatter and flatter as I climbed and getting harder and harder as a result. I've made it to 7.2 miles, so maybe if I pump it up all the way it'll get me home. Jump off, grab the track pump, thrash up to 120 :pump: and we're off again. Power's back, we can do this, but it's to no avail, it's cooked, I can watch the power drop as the pressure goes down, by 8.1miles it was flat again. I had to quit, I couldn't keep jumping on and off to pump it back up again, I'm going to have to give it another go :sad::cry:
But when I do, I'll be riding angry, so look out Pantaleon, I'm coming for you :angry:

Edit: Just checked my Strava, I was on 235w average which would have given me 1:13:40 if I'd held that to the end :dry:

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I'm hoping that the current amnesity on ride close dates still applies, had a dose of food poisoning last week, there was no riding happening, no way, no how.

So, let's talk about tonight.
Off we go, blimey this is hard work, I know I've been off the bike for a week, but this is a bit much, anyway, let's push on. So push on I did, but it's sooooo hard, I'm making decent time, but oh my word I'm struggling and it's not getting any easier. Keep those legs pumping, you can do it, half way there now, I'm beating the coach, I'm ahead of schedule, I've got some time in the bank if I need it.
Then I get to around 7 miles, something's wrong here, the bike is bouncing around, the last time it felt like this the clamp opened and I got dumped into the laundry basket, look back, no that's fine, but we're thumping along now, is the thingy under the front wheel a bit squiffy and I'm rocking on that somehow? No that's fine. Maybe my bottom bracket has gone, doesn't feel like it really, it's not clicking, this is a thump, and now it's staggeringly hard to pedal, I can barely turn the gears, then I see it. I've got a PUNCTURE!!!!! :cursing:
It must have been on the way when I started, and it's been getting flatter and flatter as I climbed and getting harder and harder as a result. I've made it to 7.2 miles, so maybe if I pump it up all the way it'll get me home. Jump off, grab the track pump, thrash up to 120 :pump: and we're off again. Power's back, we can do this, but it's to no avail, it's cooked, I can watch the power drop as the pressure goes down, by 8.1miles it was flat again. I had to quit, I couldn't keep jumping on and off to pump it back up again, I'm going to have to give it another go :sad::cry:
But when I do, I'll be riding angry, so look out Pantaleon, I'm coming for you :angry:

Edit: Just checked my Strava, I was on 235w average which would have given me 1:13:40 if I'd held that to the end :dry:
Use that as a good recce ride for next time :biggrin:

I have a NEO these days, rather than a wheel on trainer, so no punctures anymore. Had a blow out once on BKool, scared the beejesus out of me :eek:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
'ave it Pantaleon!

Actually I got another puncture, I think it might be patches failing. The tube is bit beat up and it's well patched, it was a cheapy Wilko scab patch that had failed and caused the problem yesterday, so maybe they're getting too warm and the glue is failing, I dunno, haven't checked to see what the problem was tonight. Anyway, I didn't start to feel it 'til around 10 miles or so and it wasn't until the final climb that the valve started to bounce so I could stand to the end to take the weight off a bit. Think I might get a new tube though :blush:

However, the ride is done, all the ones for me please @Aleman 1:11:11 :smile:

Top Bottom