2020 Genesis Croix de Fer 30 Review...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@wafter surprised to read about your BB so soon!
In part because of your interesting review, and also having looked closely in 2018 at a London Freeride led ride from the suburbs, I’ve been looking at Genesis for my next bike. I have to say, I’m really pleased to be picking a 2021 CdA 30 up this weekend, a GRX/Tiagra equipped Model, which is exciting.
So, in a word, Thanks! 😀

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
@wafter surprised to read about your BB so soon!
In part because of your interesting review, and also having looked closely in 2018 at a London Freeride led ride from the suburbs, I’ve been looking at Genesis for my next bike. I have to say, I’m really pleased to be picking a 2021 CdA 30 up this weekend, a GRX/Tiagra equipped Model, which is exciting.
So, in a word, Thanks! 😀
Thanks and yes, a bit crap isn't it? Also the bike came from London and I suspect the cost of getting it back there for inspection (in terms of time, fuel and mental health) would probably exceed that of just replacing the BB... although from their design I understand they can suffer from misalignment so (espeically factoring in Shimano's usually excellent product quality) chances are this has been caused by an issue with the frame... don't really fancy having a load of the paint shaved off to true up the BB shell :sad:

On the up-side I'm glad this thread maybe helped your decision - I bet you can't wait!

Enjoy your new ride :becool:

Yes, I’m afraid, I cannot wait! Especially as my Cyclescheme arrangement took 2 months to be received ( don’t let that put anyone off, it generally works pretty quickly - mine was delayed due to an incorrect request, and a reimbursement to my organisation before they could finalise the revised value!) and I could see many of my choices being sold out.
Still, I have managed to gain, because I think for my planned use GRX will be really interesting to use on the South Downs, and other local rural and coastal routes, as well as my 16 mile commute.
Maybe I will follow your fantastic review with one, in a similar vein, on the CdA 30 😂

cheys03

Veteran
Sorry Wafter, I haven’t responded to your queries. Most unfair of me given all your hard work here. Once the wonky head badge was covered by tape I forgot all about it.... but I still know it’s there if I see the outline under tape. I think the pads lasted a good 8,000mi if not a bit more and not replaced the discs yet, not too bad overall. My commute doesn’t have many junctions or lights so guess that helps. I moved the saddle forward a bit while helped with the fit.
Regards the BB, it’s been a curse of mine for a while. I remove the crankset, grease everything, replace and re-torque then it’s good for another couple of hundred miles before the unmistakable creaks return a bit at a time. I had it apart again two nights ago and this time chose to remove the bearings from the frame too while there. The thread in the near side bearing was partially stripped. I can’t recall having taken it off before, but may be mistaken. The alternative is that Genesis or the assembler knackered it which is a bit scary. I managed to tidy the aluminium threads up enough to refit carefully with some grease on the threads. I’m hoping this cures it for a good while, but not ridden yet and need a few weeks of use to be sure.

Well done for racking up so many miles in the few months you’ve had it! Brilliant!

cheys03

Veteran
I’m hoping this cures it for a good while, but not ridden yet and need a few weeks of use to be sure.
Update: after 6 weeks though only a couple of hundred miles, no signs of clicking or creaking whatsoever. This is better than usual so I’m recording that as a win for greasing the BB bearing threads that screw in to the frame. Fingers crossed it continues!

A quick update; I'm now up to around 1800 miles on the bike and still enjoying it; however over the past few hundred miles the bottom bracket has developed a telltale creaking under load on the pedal strokes, which is disappointing :sad:

Ironically one of the reasons I bought this bike was for the (supposed) superiority of the threaded BB over the dreaded PF30 on my road bike; which has made it past this mileage with no grief.

Looks like I'm about to find out how good their warranty cover is; I hope they don't try to fob me off with the "it's a wear part" argument.. no way in my mind that a BB start to die after such relatively little time, mileage or abuse.

I too had issues with the bottom bracket creaking, normally I would do the work myself but I don’t have the correct tool to remove the BB/crank so I emailed Genesis/freewheel. They got back straight away. I took it to my local dealer at their expense and had it sorted

silence is bliss^_^

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Update: after 6 weeks though only a couple of hundred miles, no signs of clicking or creaking whatsoever. This is better than usual so I’m recording that as a win for greasing the BB bearing threads that screw in to the frame. Fingers crossed it continues!
I must say that I usually grease the threads and the frame face on the BB whenever I replace them. If nothing else, it generally makes them easire to remove as well as being good engineering practice to ensure friction is minimised whilst tightening.

cheys03

Veteran
I must say that I usually grease the threads and the frame face on the BB whenever I replace them. If nothing else, it generally makes them easire to remove as well as being good engineering practice to ensure friction is minimised whilst tightening.
Yep, same. Whatever grease was there when assembled 4 years prior had deteriorated and dried by the time I removed the bearings. I guess that can go on the ‘check annually’ list from now on 🙂

kingspirit

Wow what an amazing review!
I'm currently looking at Croix de Fer 40 (2021) as my new bike, but the main concern i have its about the exposed two cables at the down tube. Not sure how safe not to catch/damage this cables with anything and how durable they would be. As this days most of the cables are internal. What do you think about this exposed cables that run down the down tube?
Also as i understand you got the medium but what is your height?
Cheers!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My Tour de Fer has the same exposed cables, no issues whatsoever in a year and a half of riding it, about 40 to 50% of that has been off road too. If you think about it, internal cable routing is a fairly recent thing and was brought in more for aesthetics than protection. Cyclists from 20, 30, 40 years ago didn't suffer cable damage often. If at all.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Wow what an amazing review!
I'm currently looking at Croix de Fer 40 (2021) as my new bike, but the main concern i have its about the exposed two cables at the down tube. Not sure how safe not to catch/damage this cables with anything and how durable they would be. As this days most of the cables are internal. What do you think about this exposed cables that run down the down tube?
Also as i understand you got the medium but what is your height?
Cheers!

It is a good review, sadly @wafter is no longer on the forum, a real shame as he was a really decent chap who made an excellent contribution

kingspirit

My Tour de Fer has the same exposed cables, no issues whatsoever in a year and a half of riding it, about 40 to 50% of that has been off road too. If you think about it, internal cable routing is a fairly recent thing and was brought in more for aesthetics than protection. Cyclists from 20, 30, 40 years ago didn't suffer cable damage often.

Cheers! This is reassuring, I was worried that the cables just stick out on the sides of down tube, usually they run just under the down tube. What size of the bike do you have and what is your height? Comfortable ride?
Thanks

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Cheers! This is reassuring, I was worried that the cables just stick out on the sides of down tube, usually they run just under the down tube. What size of the bike do you have and what is your height? Comfortable ride?
Thanks
They're not really on the side, just not quite fully under, sort of mid way. You can't see them from the saddle. They've never caught anything and never struck me as vulnerable, I've not heard of any negative experiences at all, and there are a few Genesis CdF riders on here.
I'm 6 foot and I went for Large, I was midway between that and XL but I err towards the lower as I don't like to feel stretched out. It's very comfortable indeed, the most comfortable bike I've owned.

Top Bottom