2020 Genesis Croix de Fer 30 Review...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Great review wafter and a nice bike, good to see you're out and about enjoying it.

One thing I'm curious about is the chain slap you mention, you've got the GRX derailleur on there which should have a clutch and as such eliminate or minimise chain slap. My SRAM derailleur has a clutch and no matter how rough the ground I've never heard any chain slap at all, which is why I'm surprised to hear your suffering from chain slap with the GRX. I think you can switch the clutch on and off with Shimano derailleurs and was wondering if yours is actually switched on?
Thanks 😊

I thought similar about the chainslap. The first time it happened you’re absolutely correct that I didn’t have the clutch engaged and rode over some pretty rough ground so (while gutting) it wasn’t a surprise to find the damage.

However, since then I’ve religiously used the clutch yet the damage appears to have slightly worsened (before I taped a bit of old innertube around the chainstay); with what appears to be another chip intersecting one of the originals and a couple of smaller witness marks that have damaged the paint but not resulted in chips.

I agree with your points about the GRX derailleur – trying to replicate slap off the bike by banging it on the ground / trying to push the chain up towards the frame results in it coming nowhere close. The damage is definitely from the chain though, from the spacing of the impact points.

The only other explanation I can think of is that it’s less slap more suck as I do have a habit of shifting both deralleurs at once (when I need to switch chainrings) and am wondering if this could be contributing.

Either way I’m hoping that the belt-and-braces chainstay protector should prevent any more damage!

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I taped a bit of old innertube around the chainstay
Does your sofa look like this?
sofa-plastic-cover.jpg

Please don’t think I am having a go, I am really enjoying your write-ups. :okay:
I guess I have a different outlook on how pristine my bikes need to be.

CXRAndy

Guru
This is where bare Ti has the new look preserved. Scratches, marks can be lightly rubbed away with a Scotch pad.

Id got a few marks from leaning against walls and packing tbe bike in a bike box, 10 mins later marks gone

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Does your sofa look like this?
View attachment 523595

Please don’t think I am having a go, I am really enjoying your write-ups. :okay:
I guess I have a different outlook on how pristine my bikes need to be.
lol - no it's a tatty old leather item courtesy of freecycle, as it happens ;)

Granted I'm certainly closer to the obsessive end of the wide spectrum of attitudes we have towards caring for possessions; but in the case of the chainstay - surely for the sake of 10 minutes and zero pounds making something / a fiver on a ready-made item it's worth protecting the most expensive part of an expensive bike from damage; especially if this damage is likely to result in corrosion and ultimately death?

I've considered frame tape but even my OCD didn't stretch that far (partially because of the cost, hassle and uncertainty in sourcing and fitting it) but tbh I can't understand the mentality of those who refuse to take basic / straightforward / easy steps to prolong the life of their gear.. or worse actively abuse / neglect it.

This is where bare Ti has the new look preserved. Scratches, marks can be lightly rubbed away with a Scotch pad.

Id got a few marks from leaning against walls and packing tbe bike in a bike box, 10 mins later marks gone
Indeed - sadly Ti would have doubled my already dubiously-justifiable budget..

I love the detailed write up, and can empathise with Wafters attention to detail. This is a lovely looking cycle and your changes have made improvements to it aesthetically, imho.
I’m keen to learn what the warranty is for Genesis frames and forks, and what you think of the weight as yours is currently?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I love the detailed write up, and can empathise with Wafters attention to detail. This is a lovely looking cycle and your changes have made improvements to it aesthetically, imho.
I’m keen to learn what the warranty is for Genesis frames and forks, and what you think of the weight as yours is currently?
Thanks - I appreciate your kind words and it's nice to know I'm not alone in my proclivities :smile:

Somewhat disappointingly I believe the warranty is only a year; which suprises me given the image and market segment they're courting, but there you go. Hopefully this isn't a reflection of the build quality!

Just for you, the bike's currently weighing in at 12.60kg basically as pictured / specced in this thread, but without a water bottle (and with the supplied bell now fitted!). When it arrived it came in at 11.30kg with no pedals, but obviously since then I've added quite a few bits and the new tyres are a bit heavier than the originals.

Apparently the fork weighs something like 1.3kg on its own and they do a CFRP one for about £300 that loses something like 800g; however nice as this would be, one of the draws to the bike was its steel fork and correspondingly much reduced worry over future steerer-tube failure..

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm surprised at the weight of the fork, TBH. Especially as the rest of the frame is Reynolds. That seems to be in rigid MTB territory. Is it extra beefy just because it's disc-braked?
Tomorrow I'm going to have to weigh a Raleigh Pioneer hi-tensile unicrown one and the traditional brazed one off my Ian May 531ST frame and see how they compare. Curiosity has now got the better of me! :wacko:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I'm surprised at the weight of the fork, TBH. Especially as the rest of the frame is Reynolds. That seems to be in rigid MTB territory. Is it extra beefy just because it's disc-braked?
Tomorrow I'm going to have to weigh a Raleigh Pioneer hi-tensile unicrown one and the traditional brazed one off my Ian May 531ST frame and see how they compare. Curiosity has now got the better of me! :wacko:
I've not weighed it myself but IIRC that's what I've read quoted. Similarly I've also read that disc-braked forks need to be built stronger on account of this; although I'm not wholly convinced by this argument... have had a couple of stabs at a free-body diagram of the forces in my head but can't quite get there!

Your mention of MTB territory might not be too wide of the mark; could be that given the bike isn't intended to be used strictly on tarmac that it's assessed (relative to the relevant ISO standards) as an MTB; while it seems that said standards are largely disliked for making modern steel MTB frames heavy.

It would obviously be nice if the bike was lighter but it's not a deal-killer and given the bike's use / my desire to make it last forever I'm happy to take the mass penalty in return for greater durability :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
FWIW, I weighed my Ian May touring forks, which are stickered as 531 but not what variant. The rest of the frame is stickered 531ST, and it's a 23" size, and bare it weighs 760g or 1.675 lbs.. Maybe @rogerzilla would like to confirm whether the fork weight is in the right ball park for standard 531? Not had a chance to weigh the Pioneer unicrown yet, which is probably a better comparison.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Curiosity got the better of me so I weighed a selection from my donor spares pile:-

Raleigh 18-23 hi-tensile brazed road fork, 1" quill, 25" frame, 27"/700c wheels = 950g
Apollo hi-tensile unicrown hybrid fork, 1 1/8" quill, 19" frame, 700c wheel = 1,300g :eek:
Giant hi-tensile unicrown MTB fork, 1" quill, 19" frame, 26" wheel = 1130g.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Apollo hi-tensile unicrown hybrid fork, 1 1/8" quill, 19" frame, 700c wheel = 1,300g :eek:
Sounds like I'm in classy company then :tongue:

I'd be happy to play, but hopefully it'll be a long time before I have reason to have the fork out of the frame!

Top Bottom