2020 Structured Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Restarted working on improving fitness. That’s means two high intensity sessions a week. Did second session this week and it went well. Let’s hope there’s a steady improvement in my power outputs etc through the summer. Ready for my Everesting attempt 😀

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yeah, I was just casting around for possible reasons why they would exclude recumbents.

I seem to be back on it. I kept myself ticking over with a free trial of trainer road until it ran out which coincided with interviews and a new job starting. After a couple of weeks I got the urge to do some intervals and quickly made up a session to follow.

Screenshot_20200822-210635_Strava.jpg

After that I decided it wasn't structured enough. So I renewed TR and did a ramp test.

Screenshot_20200822-211028.jpg

Woke up with a sensitive left knee though but it wasn't too bad so I went out for a gentle recovery
Screenshot_20200822-211527_Strava.jpg

It didn't feel any worse or better though after that so I thought I was going to have to stop again. Then I realised my new cleats I fitted in a haste 🤦‍♂️ last week had slipped. The next session was a recovery so I fixed the cleat and did it.

Screenshot_20200822-211903.jpg

The knee felt really good after that so I went to do the last club TT and despite stupidly knocking the knee of the bars in the warm up I set a 1 sec PB.
Screenshot_20200820-232046_XRecorder.jpg

The knee was a bit sore after that but it seemed to ease of over night so I did the next session.

Screenshot_20200822-212416.jpg

Couldn't face a solo ride today so I did the next session TR had programmed.

Screenshot_20200822-212628.jpg

I might skip tomorrow's 2 hour sweet spot session though and do that solo ride 🤔

I think I'm seeing the benefits of Structured Training today. Somehow managed a circa 58s (awaiting official results) on the Broughton TT despite the wind impact being twice as much, again having little warm up (it was freezing so I hid in the car :laugh:), having a shallow wheel and putting less effort in so I wasn’t caught out. Last time I rode it in 2016 was when the same bike was 6 months old but it had no disk or powermeter and had only been doing structured training for a year
thinking.png

Today

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
I've decided to work with a coach for a bit more structure to my training, instead of just a couple of turbo sessions/week. It is the same coach who was hosting 2x turbo sessions/week. I have some hefty goals next year, and I'm excited to see how I progress.

mattobrien

Guru
I've decided to work with a coach for a bit more structure to my training, instead of just a couple of turbo sessions/week. It is the same coach who was hosting 2x turbo sessions/week. I have some hefty goals next year, and I'm excited to see how I progress.
Good luck, being coached was one of the better bicycle related things I have done. For me it’s about the accountability of it, it gets set, I do it. No ifs, no buts. Just, shut up and train.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Now done a couple of turbo sessions. Easing myself back in to it. Currently set efforts 10% below what I was doing in July. Seems about right and happy to be at this level in Dec. My power was much lower 12 months ago.

Top Bottom