2023 Bah Humbug thread šŸŽ…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bah fellow humbuggers! Letā€™s talk about Christmas markets.

My local market in Winchester opened over a week ago. Now the usual complaint from locals is that it increases traffic, the city centre gets crazy busy, you canā€™t get a seat for coffee or lunch anywhere and the inevitable parking issues, which is a declaration of war as far as the local paper is concerned.

Now my gripe is entirely different. Whisper it, but the market is a bit shoot. Sure, the setting is nice with the cathedral and all, but there are only so many stalls flogging local moonshine, bamboo socks and overpriced cubic zirconium jewellery you can look at before you realise youā€™ve been had. And those independent-looking street food stalls - all one company. The same company is probably running the catering at six other Christmas markets.

It used to be better when the market had a rink. Who doesnā€™t love watching people fall over? That was dumped a few years ago to make space for more retail opportunities.

And people travel miles and queue up to get in!? Iā€™m sorry, I truly am. Stay home, go somewhere else, or visit the city when there isnā€™t a Christmas market. All of these are better options.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Talking of markets.
Here within a catchment area of about 1500 permanent residents plus some touroid even at this time of year I have lost count of the number of Christmas Markets. FB is full of adverts for them.
They are everywhere and every organisation from the school to every voluntary organisation or club seems to think it is a good idea to have their own one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Never found a great Christmas Market in the UK. We just can't do it properly.
We're off to Hamburg week after next to visit the real thing where you're not ripped off at every turn, where you can drink reasonably priced delicious Gluhwein out of a glass instead of plastic and chow down on very tasty, hot curry wurst.

Gwylan

Veteran
Never found a great Christmas Market in the UK. We just can't do it properly.
We're off to Hamburg week after next to visit the real thing where you're not ripped off at every turn, where you can drink reasonably priced delicious Gluhwein out of a glass instead of plastic and chow down on very tasty, hot curry wurst.

NĆ¼rnberg is better, ask the German based fellow on here.
My experience of being there schlepping customers around in the freezing dark until they can't cope

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1701548764266.jpeg

postman

Legendary Member
Xmas markets,once you have seen one you have seen them all.Leeds was shoot for years.It seems they have let it loose this year and it's spread out more.Will i visit no.Manchester is great massive,but seen it twice and not worth the train journey.Edinburgh very good but so busy crushed by the crowds,and i understand it's been moved this year,because of foot damage in the grounds it was held in.Best was Edinburgh Botanical Gardens NOT a market,it was super.The stupid prices of things espesh those sweet counters pick and mix one has been slated in Leeds this week.

Slick

Guru
Xmas markets,once you have seen one you have seen them all.Leeds was shoot for years.It seems they have let it loose this year and it's spread out more.Will i visit no.Manchester is great massive,but seen it twice and not worth the train journey.Edinburgh very good but so busy crushed by the crowds,and i understand it's been moved this year,because of foot damage in the grounds it was held in.Best was Edinburgh Botanical Gardens NOT a market,it was super.The stupid prices of things espesh those sweet counters pick and mix one has been slated in Leeds this week.

Used to jump the train through to Edinburgh for the market, but seems like a lot of effort now for what I is.

classic33

Leg End Member
LAst time I went near a Christmas market it was full of overprices food places selling posh burgers
and stalls selling tat I wouldn;t give as a present to my enemy!

waste of space except for small very local ones possibly
The last one near me had complaints about Santa that made national news!

Then Santa upped and disappeared, almost overnight.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We did the Manchester one some years ago.
As Postman said, it was massive but soooo many stalls selling exactly the same stuff.
Never been near one since although my wife went to one somewhere in Cheshire and brought back some really fantastic sausages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom