205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't get me wrong, we have ridden with Steve during his attempt and would like nothing better than for him to succeed, unfortunately there are too many things that can go wrong when you are doing 200 miles every day in all weathers. At the very least I believe a network of volunteers spread around the country with access to a vehicle would have been extremely useful. All this is easy to say with hindsight, but we do have some experience of long distance cycling / competing and understand how quickly things can go pear shaped because of relatively small things.
If he is yet to succeed, and I believe it is just about possible, luck will have to be on his side along with considerably more help. Just my thoughts.

I don't think Steve is the issue. Its his fans and supporters that have given him loads of encouragement but little advice on planning or calling out when something does not make sense. Compared to Kurt, Steve had a bigger team and supposedly an expert on long distance cycling.

We as a society tend to be coy about giving contrary advice. The Americans on the other hand friend or no friend will call out when a mate is doing something wrong. He should have been advised to take a complete break and come back after a few months.

So its not about network or luck. It better organisation and planning and that does not necessarily relate to having a bigger team.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Not so Arrowroot.
If you go to the other place you can see whole treads dedicated to comments and advice. I know Steve and his team has seen them because the are active members. Be careful though it is much rougher than over here. One thread got locked recently after it descended into personal abuse by pro Steve supporters ( not Steve himself who is never less than polite) of people who were offering advise and alternate strategies.
The mantra appears to be " you can't ride as far so what do you know? " or " Steve's rides more in a month than you do in your lifetime so Stve knows best, don't even bother to suggest any thing"

Last edited:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Yep, I quit that thread because I don't much like being told to b*gger off or f*ck off just because I don't want to blow hot air up Steve's ar5e about how wonderfully he's doing. Yes, what he's achieving is astonishing, but he's not going to beat the record on this attempt. I find it astonishing that his sponsors are happy for him to carry on on this fool's errand. He's nowhere near fast enough and he will end up jeopardising his opportunity to have a third stab at this record.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There was an interview with Kurt Searvogel in Cycling World (14th Jan). One question was quite telling.

CW : Does Steve Abraham, who is currently challenging the record in the UK, have a chance?
KS: If he doesn't get out of England, no. If he'd had a different plan for the winter, he'd have definitely had a chance.

mattobrien

Guru
Yep, I quit that thread because I don't much like being told to b*gger off or f*ck off just because I don't want to blow hot air up Steve's ar5e about how wonderfully he's doing. Yes, what he's achieving is astonishing, but he's not going to beat the record on this attempt. I find it astonishing that his sponsors are happy for him to carry on on this fool's errand. He's nowhere near fast enough and he will end up jeopardising his opportunity to have a third stab at this record.
As much as I support Steve, I think he has now missed the boat of ever getting this record. The daily average mileage required for the remaining part of his second attempt is beyond anything he has consistently achieved over the last 12 months. That means the second attempt is highly unlikely to beat Kurt's record, unless he can surprise us all over the next 6 and a bit months.

There is another attempt being undertaken by Bruce Berkeley and he is knocking out higher milage at a higher speed, which if he is successful for the entire year, I believe will take the record beyond Steve's capabilities, unless he starts to increase his average speed by several miles per hour.

Not so Arrowroot.
If you go to the other place you can see whole treads dedicated to comments and advice. I know Steve and his team has seen them because the are active members. Be careful though it is much rougher than over here. One thread got locked recently after it descended into personal abuse by pro Steve supporters ( not Steve himself who is never less than polite) of people who were offering advise and alternate strategies.
The mantra appears to be " you can't ride as far so what do you know? " or " Steve's rides more in a month than you do in your lifetime so Stve knows best, don't even bother to suggest any thing"

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sadly probably the right thing. He's a cycling legend ... Time for R&R and a bit of privacy.

That is such a pity.

Hopefully, with more knowledge and experience gained, a new attempt can be made when every part of the necessary team is ready and fully prepared.

Nonetheless, it's been a tremendous effort by Steve. Riding such long distances in an English winter with short daylight hours is a huge challenge, which, finally, it seems, cracked him.

Good and better luck next time, Steve.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Steve must be completely gutted to have had to make this desicion.

He has shown so much determination and strength of character.

What a hero.Go Steve.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
well done to steve he deserves all the congratulations which will surely be heaped upon him where ever he rides out in the future. But I am so glad that he has finally stopped trying to achieve what had become an impossible target and possbly riding himself into long-term health problems.

Top Bottom