205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo from the other place.

Day 310 / 91: Kurt spends another day based at Waveland on the Mississippi gulf coast passing a significant milestone – 100,000km in 301 days. Steve has a challenging day in blustery conditions, heading south and west for the first time in many months including the first visit to Marsh Gibbon since June 12th. He finishes with an early night and 141 miles ridden, leaving him 58 miles below the Godwin line. No ride posted by Miles today.

oyttDay310.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo from the other place.

Day 311 / 92: More Waveland loops for Kurt who cuts things a little short (for him) at 195 miles when the Mississippi rain gets a bit much. Steve, starting from St Neots, has miserable wet and windy weather and some ongoing tummy troubles to contend with and makes it back home with 200 miles on the clock, 25 of them after midnight. Miles has a 65 mile night time ride to Seymour.

oyttDay311.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo from the other place

Day 312 / 93: Kurt battles strong crosswinds and rain along the Mississippi coast managing 154 miles but passing Ossie Nicholson's 1937 record. He only has two more to pass now – Bernard Bennett's and Tommy Godwin's 1939 milages. Steve also has some windy weather looping through Thetford Forest and another 2am finish for 214 miles. This leaves him 55 miles below the Godwin line. No ride posted from Miles, who is now around 2750 miles behind pace.

oyttDay312.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Steve Abraham
1 hr ·
Steve averaged about 205-miles per day, across a weekend of unseasonally warm temperatures (but in wet & windy conditions). This week promises to be even windier, so he'll have his work cut out. Steve says he'd actually prefer a cold wet day with no wind, to a warm dry one with strong winds...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
2 hrs ·
Yesterday was rough. Kurt is simply exhausted. We got up early and drove so that if he must ride in the rain he'll at least have a tailwind. Well, it was a crosswind blowing south and he could only go west. He got beat up. Every stop he changed his cloths. Too cold, too wet... the wind was just slapping him around. When we got back to our temporary base, he did laps in the unforgiving wind. He was wiped out after 82 miles. He took a little break and then he was off again. I went out there with him and did a few laps, but it was miserable and slow, he was slow. He wanted to quit but I wouldn't let him. "This is shitty isn't it," he said. Even if it's slow it's miles, I told him. He disagreed, but kept riding.
Earlier in the day I had received a message from a friend who's 16 year old daughter has a rare incurable genetic disorder. She is losing the strength in her ligaments and her bones are falling loose. In short, she can't walk, her jaw is dropping and her arms are coming out of the sockets. I had to share this with him even though it was not uplifting. Although this sucks, I had to remind him that we forget how lucky we are. We can move our arms and legs when others are struggling. He rode as much as he could in the "shitty" weather.
A nice dinner and good nights rest... maybe today he can get some big miles in. ~ Alicia

Neilsmith

Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
2 hrs ·
Yesterday was rough. Kurt is simply exhausted. We got up early and drove so that if he must ride in the rain he'll at least have a tailwind. Well, it was a crosswind blowing south and he could only go west. He got beat up. Every stop he changed his cloths. Too cold, too wet... the wind was just slapping him around. When we got back to our temporary base, he did laps in the unforgiving wind. He was wiped out after 82 miles. He took a little break and then he was off again. I went out there with him and did a few laps, but it was miserable and slow, he was slow. He wanted to quit but I wouldn't let him. "This is shitty isn't it," he said. Even if it's slow it's miles, I told him. He disagreed, but kept riding.
Earlier in the day I had received a message from a friend who's 16 year old daughter has a rare incurable genetic disorder. She is losing the strength in her ligaments and her bones are falling loose. In short, she can't walk, her jaw is dropping and her arms are coming out of the sockets. I had to share this with him even though it was not uplifting. Although this sucks, I had to remind him that we forget how lucky we are. We can move our arms and legs when others are struggling. He rode as much as he could in the "shitty" weather.
A nice dinner and good nights rest... maybe today he can get some big miles in. ~ Alicia
Paints a picture of how tough these challenges are, well beyond what most could cope with and keep going.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Indeed.
I am happy to pump out 100+ milers and the odd 200+ miler every week. But to do 200+ every day in all weathers is totally beyond me and probably most people.
Steve and Kurt are both amazing athletes. On a total different level.
^That. For most of the higher-mileage persuasion, it's a challenge (to a lesser or greater extent), fun (ditto), and something you can and will bail on if the weather's not right/you're sick/you don't feel up to it/you've got something else to do. For these two, and Bruce Berkeley, & whoever else takes up the baton, it's work. For 365 days, no leave, no breaks. That alone would put most of us off, before the effort.......

Top Bottom