205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo from the other place

Day 301 / 82: Kurt finds his mojo, knocking out 220 miles with a boost from some company on the way. Steve feels better but a little shorter than he anticipated in his loop around Ely for 202 miles. Thus puts him around 34 miles short of WR pace. Miles take the train north and rides south back to Melbourne for 124 miles. He is now over 9,000 miles behind record pace.

oyttDay301.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
6 mins ·
Just to let you all know what we are going through:
We hit a crux and I was worried about him. I do know his limit. I do know when he can be pushed harder and when to back off. He needs to be able to get up and do it again. It's going to be close, but he promised me he would get in 220 on the days it wasn't raining. He rode wet all day after the rainstorm without changing, he didn't want to burn away any daylight. I'm proud of him for getting his miles in yesterday. He was on the verge of quitting these past 5 days. Every bit of him was weakening. He's riding strong again. ~ Alicia

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
7 hrs · Edited ·
IS IT TRUE?
HAS KURT RIDDEN THE MOST MILES OUT OF ANYONE IN THE UNITED STATES IN ONE YEAR?

"Just wanted to drop in and say you are doing just great-over 60,200 plus miles last time I checked in which makes you the 5th longest distance cyclist in the world so far as the record set by Tommy Godwin stands, along with the fact it is the longest distance cycled ever by any one from the United States.....you are now the first (and only by the looks of it) Long Distance Cyclist in the USA to rack up those miles and cycle further than any one has ever done on your side of the world!!!! smile emoticon Congratulations Kurt-stay safe,keep well-your are awesome....!! Regards Pete (Steve''s Brother) and family in England...! wink emoticon Wish you all the best wink emoticon" ~ Pete Abraham

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo from the other place

Day 302 / 83: Alicia reports that Kurt had been close to throwing the towel in at several points in the last week, but now seems to have surfaced from that dark place to add another 221 miles to his total. Steve also on good form, edges to within 30 miles of the WR line with a 216 mile day. Miles is back on bay road detail riding for 127 miles.

oyttDay302.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's a new challenger who has thrown his cycle hat into the ring. English chappy, Bruce Berkely. Known as Cycle_dr 1 on Strava.
When Steve started his attempt at the beginning of the year Bruce was putting in some serious miles in Australia. 10,000kms
Bruce will start his attempt 1st January 2016.

Road CC piece from earlier this year.
Bruce Berkeley rides nearly 10,000km in January to set new Guinness World Record

Bruce%20Berkeley%20crop.jpg

As was the case when he set the Guinness World Record for distance ridden in a week last year, there was no existing record ratified by the organisation for Berkeley to aim at.

He told Wade Wallace of Australian website Cycling Tips(link is external) that Guinness World Records had suggested he ride at least 5,000 kilometres, but he was aware other people on Strava were posting greater monthly distances so decided to aim for 10,000 instead.

That’s actually some distance short of the 13,813 kilometres that Tommy Godwin rode in 1939 on his way to establishing a new record for distance ridden in a year, and the likelihood is that Berkeley’s mark will be beaten at some point this year by Steve Abraham and Kurt Searvogel.

Both of those riders are aiming to break the 'unbreakable' Year record – but their attempts aren’t recognised by Guinness World Records, which considers the feat too dangerous to attempt.

While they covered less distance than Berkeley last month, as the days lenghten in the Northern Hemisphere over the coming months, so too will the distances they put in.

Likewise, the 2,825 kilometres Berkeley rode to establish that weekly record last year is less than the distance covered in the Race Across America (RAAM), though Guinness World Records doesn’t tend to recognise events where sleep deprivation may be an issue.

Default_Size_16_1x1.gif
We’re aware of other examples of riders putting in more than 3,000 kilometres in a week – Mike Hall during the first seven days of last year’s inaugural Trans Am Bike Race for instance.

None of that is to disparage Berkeley’s achievements – almost 10,000 kilometres is something many cyclists would be happy to be able to ride in a year let alone a month, and being able to put in a daily distance greater than that of the longest one-day pro race, Milan-San Remo is beyond all but a handful.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Well, well, best of luck to the fella. Fair play if you haven't been put off by the trials and tribulations of the current challengers.
I do wish they'd put the distances in miles though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Totally OT but ...
Guinness World Records doesn’t tend to recognise events where sleep deprivation may be an issue.
When I was at university I knew a guy who attempted a world record snooker marathon, which IIRC was Guinness recognised. Perhaps they've become more enlightened/safety aware in the past 30-odd years. He fuelled himself on coffee and Lucky Strike fags. I seem to remember he fell ill (I think heart palpitations or something) and failed. Given the state of my memory, this is only marginally better than "I made it all up".

But back on topic, with the existence of the ultracycling HAM'R as a benchmark, with associated rules etc, doesn't Guinness rather become irrelevant?

jay clock

Massive member
sa
There's a new challenger who has thrown his cycle hat into the ring. English chappy, Bruce Berkely. Known as Cycle_dr 1 on Strava.
When Steve started his attempt at the beginning of the year Bruce was putting in some serious miles in Australia. 10,000kms
Bruce will start his attempt 1st January 2015.

Road CC piece from earlier this year.
Bruce Berkeley rides nearly 10,000km in January to set new Guinness World Record

Bruce%20Berkeley%20crop.jpg

As was the case when he set the Guinness World Record for distance ridden in a week last year, there was no existing record ratified by the organisation for Berkeley to aim at.

He told Wade Wallace of Australian website Cycling Tips(link is external) that Guinness World Records had suggested he ride at least 5,000 kilometres, but he was aware other people on Strava were posting greater monthly distances so decided to aim for 10,000 instead.

That’s actually some distance short of the 13,813 kilometres that Tommy Godwin rode in 1939 on his way to establishing a new record for distance ridden in a year, and the likelihood is that Berkeley’s mark will be beaten at some point this year by Steve Abraham and Kurt Searvogel.

Both of those riders are aiming to break the 'unbreakable' Year record – but their attempts aren’t recognised by Guinness World Records, which considers the feat too dangerous to attempt.

While they covered less distance than Berkeley last month, as the days lenghten in the Northern Hemisphere over the coming months, so too will the distances they put in.

Likewise, the 2,825 kilometres Berkeley rode to establish that weekly record last year is less than the distance covered in the Race Across America (RAAM), though Guinness World Records doesn’t tend to recognise events where sleep deprivation may be an issue.

Default_Size_16_1x1.gif
We’re aware of other examples of riders putting in more than 3,000 kilometres in a week – Mike Hall during the first seven days of last year’s inaugural Trans Am Bike Race for instance.

None of that is to disparage Berkeley’s achievements – almost 10,000 kilometres is something many cyclists would be happy to be able to ride in a year let alone a month, and being able to put in a daily distance greater than that of the longest one-day pro race, Milan-San Remo is beyond all but a handful.
says Bruce starts 1 Jan 2015. Does it mean 2016?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think of Guinness as the repository for bizarre and comedic records. I understand the 'too dangerous' thing is a myth; they weren't approached.

Top Bottom