205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo from the other place

Day 299 / 80: October 26th 1939 was the day that Tommy Godwin took Ossie Nicholson's previous world record having accumulated 62,746 miles. Today, Kurt, starting 9 days behind, has ridden 60,131 miles. Steve, 52,124 miles. They should both overtake Ossie's total before the year is out. Whether either or both will take Tommy's record remains to be seen, and unlike Tommy, probably not to be decided until week 50 of their challenges.

Today Kurt faces more rain and so cuts short his evening riding for a total of 170 miles. Steve, who has found his autumn legs, rides through fenland winds to add 216 miles to his total. Miles, riding between Melbourne and Seymour to the north completes 153 miles.

oyttDay299.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
upload_2015-10-27_9-29-16.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
55° in Centigrade is 13°. That's not exactly brass monkeys weather is it? Certainly not downright miserable. I would have thought at the power Kurt is putting out on these rides and we know he's no slouch, he would be generating more then enough heat to keep warm. Even in the rain.

But... being so far into the challenge. Knowing you have to get out there what ever the weather must be very hard on the mind, body and soul. I wonder why he's not moving back to Florida?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But... being so far into the challenge. Knowing you have to get out there what ever the weather must be very hard on the mind, body and soul. I wonder why he's not moving back to Florida?
Risk of hurricanes? And potentially other storms? I don't know enough about the area to know if that's a real problem?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
More from Jo's brilliant interactive graph web page HERE

As you can see, even with Kurts few recent lower mileage days, he's still approximately 475 miles above the WR pace.
Steve less then 50 miles away from WR pace.
Miles Smith is nearly 9000 miles behind WR pace.

upload_2015-10-27_9-56-43.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
55° in Centigrade is 13°. That's not exactly brass monkeys weather is it? Certainly not downright miserable. I would have thought at the power Kurt is putting out on these rides and we know he's no slouch, he would be generating more then enough heat to keep warm. Even in the rain.
No it's not what I would call cold, but it depends on what you're used to I guess. If he decides he's not going to ride in certain conditions though then he could very quickly give himself a problem, the 30 mile below WR pace soon add up and he could very quickly find himself needing some monsters to pull it back. According to the HAMR he needs 200 a day to tie, his average so far for the year has been 207.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You'll note that it was Alicia saying "I'm not not happy when it's below 59". Maybe she's complaining and Kurt is laughing in the face of minor chill.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Er, I took her comment as a suggested addition to what Kurt had said, i..e putting words in his mouth!
OK, I see what you mean.

In which case, Kurt is a bit nesh

blazed

220lb+
I would have thought at the power Kurt is putting out on these rides and we know he's no slouch, he would be generating more then enough heat to keep warm. Even in the rain.
I don't think he's putting out much power at all, nobody could complete the record putting down high wattage.

Flat roads combined with tailwinds where possible allows him to sit in low heart rate/power zones and still make good speed.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
37 mins · Edited ·
ZAPPED... the past few days of riding cold and wet in the wind have taken its toll on Kurt, it's his kryptonite. Today he is back in the "hamster wheel" staged out of Two Rivers Park. He could use all the support and company he can get right now riding. If you can pull, ride with him, cheer him on, give him a word of encouragement... every bit helps lift his spirits, moral and energy. ~ Alicia

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
37 mins · Edited ·
ZAPPED... the past few days of riding cold and wet in the wind have taken its toll on Kurt, it's his kryptonite. Today he is back in the "hamster wheel" staged out of Two Rivers Park. He could use all the support and company he can get right now riding. If you can pull, ride with him, cheer him on, give him a word of encouragement... every bit helps lift his spirits, moral and energy. ~ Alicia
Well, he has certainly made the term "Fair weather cyclist" a bit less of an insult! :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo from the other place

Day 300 / 81: Kurt endures another day of rain and cooler temperatures than he'd like but has the company of several riders throughout the 36 repeats of the Little Rock 'hamster wheel' trail for a total of 187 miles. While he's slipping a little towards the WR line, he is still 470 miles above it, so can afford a few more days like this if he needs to. Steve, in better spirits manages an Essex-Suffolk-Cambridgeshire loop of 217 miles, putting him just 31 miles behind WR pace. At the rate of recent progress, he will hit the WR line before the weekend. Miles heads out on a rare trip west of Melbourne for a total of 154 miles.

oyttDay300.png

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Maybe this is where Steve's reboot plan suddenly makes sense. As he approaches the end of the year he will be riding in improving conditions.
Lets see how he copes with the next 4 months, as i expect these will be dark and cold.

Top Bottom