205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo from the other place
Day 286 / 67: Kurt has a slightly slower start, but is soon buoyed up by some company on the road to complete 209 miles by early evening. Steve also manages 209 miles on a wide loop of Cambridge at a slightly faster pace than recent days. He is within 3 days of reaching 50000 miles in 2015. Miles does three there-and-back bay trips for 188 miles. On this day in 1939, Tommy passed the 60,000 milestone.

oyttDay286.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 287 / 68: Kurt keeps it local for 220 miles lifting him to around 580 miles above WR pace. As the weather in the UK continues to cool, Steve contends with a northerly wind across the fens for 215 miles. He is now about 50 miles behind Tommy's average. Miles puts in a long day for 232 miles of Port Phillip Bay.

oyttDay287.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 288 / 69: Kurt follows a now regular pattern of riding out east in the early morning then being joined by others on the road as he rides back to Little Rock. All in for 216 miles. Steve has a late start but virtually no stopping time as he rides out to Thetford Forest before returning home for a total of 206 miles. He's now a day away from 50,000 miles in 2015. Miles rides north of Melbourne for 189 miles after being knocked off his bike yesterday on his usual bay roads (thankfully no injuries reported).

oyttDay288.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo from the other place.

Day 289 / 70: Kurt has a steady day and fast evening on his usual roads riding one Godwin to keep him around 600 miles above WR pace. Steve passes 50,000 miles on a day of biting NE winds across the fens. He continues his recent style of steady pace with little or no stopping, allowing him to complete 217 miles in 14h30m. Miles has a third consecutive day of Godwin+ distances, riding the bay for 211 miles.

oyttDay289.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 290 / 71: Another 223 miles in the bank for Kurt has he rides around his usual roads with company from some local riders. Steve has a tough 199 mile day via Thetford Forest that is noticeably slower than usual, no doubt in part due to developing leg pain and a rear flat. Miles has a second day of around 212 miles moving him marginally towards record pace, but still with around an 8,500 mile deficit to make up over the next eight months.

oyttDay290.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
5 hrs ·
"At this date Tommy [Godwin] had only 8 days to achieve his first goal and ride into the record books with a new year world record of 62,731 miles (on day 299) beating the Australian Ossie Nicholson record set in 1937. His next goal was to stretch his distance to around 75,000 miles. Unfortunately an early British winter coupled with blackout restrictions (Yes Britain was at war) meant severe nighttime riding restrictions." ~ Godfrey Barlow

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Go Miles
7 hrs ·
"To answer Tim Corbett's question. I know what the minimum is I need to do each day. I keep only two running totals and that is the + or - figure with regard to the average daily and the target figures. Put another way how much over or under the current record set by Tommy and how much over or under the target I've set myself I am.

Like any large project you just got to slice and dice it into 'achievable and digestible' chunks. You don't get up and think 'OK 120,800 km's less the massive 400 I did yesterday wow that's only 120,400 km's to go'.

Went a bit too hard yesterday with the CTX guys, Catseye said 58 kph max on the flat. Can actually feel my legs working today. Normally 'numb from the bum' down.

Reading the four dailey local papers (yes actual newsprint, printed on paper - I like to know what happened two days ago) and smashing riders whilst smashing myself, are two pleasures I've had to give up whilst doing the HAM'R."

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 291 / 72: 209 miles for Kurt with plenty of company on the road from various teams of local riders. Steve continues to have some leg pain and a consequent slow and long day via Ely for 182 miles. This leaves him around 64 miles from the WR pace. Miles keeps it shorter on a couple of bay trips with a total of 93 miles.

oyttDay291.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Do we know if Steve's leg pain is related to his ankle injury ? :unsure:
I haven't seen so on Facebook, although it was his left that got broken wasn't it?

Steve Abraham
2 hrs ·
Steve had quite a tough time over the weekend, averaging a little over 190-miles per day, from Friday to Sunday. That's because he's been having a pain in his left leg since Saturday - and his rear tubeless tyre finally wore out and burst. He's still on the road today, slowly nursing himself back to health and putting in the miles...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Congratulations Kurt!!

Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
4 hrs ·
We stopped at the Grant County Courthouse to pickup our marriage license today. After the clerk gave us the license I said "Now, all I need to do is find someone to marry us." The clerk proceeded to get on her cell phone and call her sister who was a Justice of the Peace and 30 minutes later we were husband and wife. Things move at jungle light speed when you hang around with Tarzan. So if your disappointed with my miles today I have an excuse wink emoticon

Top Bottom