205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Several reasons:
1. He has spent the summer training.
2. The idea of the month record is that it's an experiment that, if it goes well, will launch a new HAM'R attempt on 1st January 2017.
3. September's weather patterns tend to be more settled and mild/clement than what can be predicted with any certainty during June or July.
Given what he went thru with HAMR I don't supposed riding in the dark bothers him at all, and the likely lower average temps with help too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Given what he went thru with HAMR I don't supposed riding in the dark bothers him at all, and the likely lower average temps with help too.

Steve's always been a big 'through the night' rider anyway.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Less traffic at night too so you/ he can hit some bigger flatter roads that wouldn't be an option in daytime I suppose

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
10 days in and Steve's still about 80 miles ahead of the required rate.
upload_2016-9-12_11-3-11.png

Over Fri/Sat/Sun he just nipped off to Essex and rode a 600k audax, as you do. Then nipped back home again.
I imagine that was quite an organisational challenge, and probably threw him out of his daily rhythm. I see that his speed dropped a bit over the weekend. Be interesting to see if it picks back up once he's back into his home routine.
upload_2016-9-12_11-8-57.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And to answer my question ...

Steve has just put in 235 miles at 17.89mph. His fastest day (by a whisker) yet.

He's getting better and is way better and fitter then he was when he was attempting the yearly/

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A couple of posts in the other place suggest Steve is now almost exactly on schedule to beat the record.

That's good, although he's got very little wiggle room.

Does anyone, perhaps @Dogtrousers, have a link to his progress?

I can't make any sense of his tracker page.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To get a sense of progress, you have to go to Strava. His tracker page will tell you where he is at the moment, but precious little else.

He's still on track after 19 days He's done 4,456 miles, average 234 miles/day. Target average is 233 miles per day. So not much wiggle room, as you say.

upload_2016-9-21_14-47-17.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom