205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ooops, I totally missed that crucial "training ride" statement! I was so excited! If I weren't in the middle of a house move, I'd be spot tracking. Or trying to, unsuccessfully it seems. :rolleyes:

Good luck to Steve....hopefully he'll bring the record back to the UK!

Difficult for him to know what he needs to do to get there as Amanda Coker hasn't yet finished.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
True, but she will finish before him.
But not before he starts ... He will need to be on it from the start to stand a chance.

Good luck to him, but if he sticks to doing it on UK roads then I can't see it being possible, given what the target is likely to be. (Especially if he doesn't enlist groups of riders to shelter behind ...)

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
But not before he starts ... He will need to be on it from the start to stand a chance.
I think that'd be a given.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good luck to Steve....hopefully he'll bring the record back to the UK!

Difficult for him to know what he needs to do to get there as Amanda Coker hasn't yet finished.

The cycling machine that is Amanda Coker is nothing if not consistent.

She's upped the miles a bit recently, but the arithmetic means the average increases very slowly.

That's currently just over 230 miles a day.

Hard to see how even she could put many miles on that in the time remaining.

Steve won't want to fall behind, and a small buffer would be nice.

I reckon he will set off at 235-240 miles a day.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Oyd4VLkzQxi0c8ErqyFqBvnHk/edit#gid=2022488017

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The real question is do we start a new thread,

"The 235 miles in a day (Amanda Coker Challenge) - Progress thread"

Maybe.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A couple of days ago one of Amanda's regular support riders made a "You ain't seen nothing yet" comment on Strava, implying that next week she's going to move it up a level. I don't think she's announced a date for the month record yet, but it would make sense if she tests herself over a few consecutive days to see how many extra hours she can sustain. Any bets on the month record she'll set? I won't be surprised to see 8000.

Even level 250s from here onwards would give her 235 mpd for the year. If Steve can average 250 for the first 8 months, to beat 235 he'd still have to maintain Godwin pace through November, December, January and February. I may be about to faint.

My greatest hope for Steve is that he avoids mishap and truly demonstrates what he is capable of. I seriously doubt he can surpass Amanda, but I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

I seriously doubt he can surpass Amanda,
I'm afraid I do too. At least on normal UK roads in UK weather. But then again, if he surpasses Godwin's mileage, it'll be an achievment different than following the sun in a camper or going around a single route day in day out, all of which are admirable but somehow not directly comparable to each other.

It all becomes a bit meaningless until you analyse what each athlete has achieved and then work backwards to what it takes to do that and realize it takes an ability and commitment you can only just imagine, if you try hard.

Top Bottom