205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm going for a Jan 1st start predication too.

Anyone else watched the YouTube video? I thought it was pretty interesting on the whole. When I met him earlier in the year, he came across much the same as he does there. still unnerved by the thought of 300miles being a days ride though.

I could do 300 miles in a day very easily. If the day was 72 hours long :laugh:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
12806040_1676929495889013_727788973403025490_n.jpg

Steve Abraham shared A Year in the Saddle - Kajsa Tylen's 2016 Cycling WR Attempt's event.
14 mins ·
Training for the year record is going well after a bit of a bad start. After the month record, I took 3 weeks recovery, which might have been a bit generous. Then I got back into training. It didn't get off to the best start. I wasn't hitting the nubers and notced that my heart rate was about 10-20bpm faster than what I'd expect and I was failing training sessions. With the higher heart rate I suspected that I caught something, so instead of trying to force myself, I stopped when I couldn't hit the numbers. Within a week I was back to normal, including my heart rate.
I'm starting on preparations for the next attempt. It looks as if I have Trek Milton Keynes as my mechanic, but still a lot to sort out yet.
I will be needing a crew chief, which would involve communicating with the UMCA and being available 24/7, or at least making arrangements for me to have a contact. Realistically, it shouldn't be demanding because everything seemed to run itself pretty well last time with all the team doing their bit. But things do crop up and problems do occur. I have one or two thinking about it. A joint effort could be considered, but I don't think that'd be the best idea.
If anyone is interested, or knows anyone, then please get in touch.
I'm hoping to start sometime between 2nd week of January and the end of February, depending on when everything is ready and I have given the UMCA the 21 days notice (at least) I'm not in a great rush to start as it gives me time for training. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to get going again after my month record.

A relatively easy week for me this week. I'm staying at the Youth Hostel at the National Forest so I can do some hilly miles.
I have a recovery ride tomorrow (9th Dec) where I'll be joining Kajsa Tylen, who will have cycled over 50,000k (31,000 miles) since Jan 1st, which will be enough for her place in the Guinness Book of Records.
Saturday, I have a ride to Monsal Head planned for some more hilly miles.
On Sunday, before my 5 hour training ride home, I'll be celebrating Kajsa's success at her year record. Everyone is welcome and there's free cake! (and coffee or tea)
Kajsa would like you to come. I'm just going for the cake and coffee myself...
https://www.facebook.com/events/219355321832508/

Almost an official announcement.

Attachments

• 12806040_1676929495889013_727788973403025490_n.jpg
    12806040_1676929495889013_727788973403025490_n.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 71

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Steve's also planning ways for people to ride with him.
6 hours/100 miles is a bit out of my league though.

https://www.facebook.com/events/350064145367575/

A bit of an experiment for the Year Record 2017. During my last attempt I was getting people wanting to ride with me but it never really happened.
I am thinking of setting aside days where I'd encourage people to ride with me as events. And, I have a 14 hour training ride scheduled for January 1st.
This ride is a bit unusual, because of the midnight start (meet in Mc Donalds at 23:15 so you can have a coffee or whatever before the off) I'd usualy be starting at a more civilised hour. But, I intend to hang around Trek Milton Keynes, drinking coffee and chatting to anyone who wants to chat about year records and Audax etc and the shop will close at 5pm. Trek will be looking after my bikes for 2017. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Trek and if they're good enough for women's pro team, "Drops" and can keep them in race fit bikes, then that will be more than good enough for me.
Basic route is 230 miles, aiming for an average moving speed of around 16.7mph (6 hours for 100 miles) with minimal stops for filling bottles and possibly grabbing a quick bite, though I tend to eat on the go.
I'll be riding at my own pace and taking no prisoners, though I will accommodate pee stops etc, especially if we get a group who are willing to work together.
Anyone just wanting the 100 mile ride, there is a 24 hour garage at St Ives, about 50 miles in, where you could get a coffee and quick bite before heading back home.
I also encourage anyone to ride the route I have at their own pace as well as anyone who wants to join me on the way round. I'll try to remember to use my live Spot tracker, which should help you find me on my set route.
Even if you like the idea but don't want to ride, plese register an interest on this event page and if you would like to ride, please register yourself as going.
If it gets very popular, I may have to limit the numbers, so my advice is to register early to avoid dissapointment!

Steve was discussing this the other day....he's quite keen to try and get some company or experience of his rides. I suggested 100 mile loops but he noted it would mess with his policy of fighting the wind at its weakest and so may cost miles. The idea of the 100 route is you have a long coffee stop whilst he does another ton and picks you up again.

My 100 mile best is 6:19 but that had two big stops in it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The best I could manage would be to position myself ahead of him on the route, then when he (and others) pass, to up the pace and cling on for as long as I can and then drop off and carry on with my own ride. Could be a fun thing to plan ... and I do like planning.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Looks like Steve will need 230+ miles a day by time the cycling phenomenon that is Amanda Coker has finished her year.

They will be riding in parallel for a few months.

Interesting to see if there's any reaction from her when Steve starts.

I doubt it, she seems to determined to stick to a consistent schedule.
My guess, for what it's worth, is that Amanda will give it everything over the last couple of months, when from my limited knowledge of Florida, I believe conditions should be at their best. She'll no doubt be looking to set a spectacularly good month record at that time as well.

So I think Steve would be well advised to kick off assuming a target about 2000 miles further than current projections suggest Amanda will set.

I noted from something Steve said somewhere that he's hoping to make good use of the Cotswold Water Park, perhaps finding a productive loop. If so, I should be able to get some decent photos and videos. That may well be the extent of my involvement, although if he is regularly and predictably doing a loop in my neck of the woods, matching him for one lap at least once during the year seems like a sensible target.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Unless something changed dramatically last night, his 3rd attempt is underway, having kicked off midnight yesterday morning i.e. 1/1/17.
No that was a training ride. He did make a statement "no I haven't started again yet" on twitter or FB but I can't find it right now.

Top Bottom