205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jo from the other place

In the 30 days of Steve's official month challenge, Steve rode 7105 miles and Amanda rode 7087 miles. So Steve gets both the official and unofficial record for the month. I'm sure, should she want it, Amanda could take the official record at some point before she finishes her year though.

Here are the daily totals and averages for the two of them over the 30 days. Note that the vertical axis does not start at zero so the chart can focus on the interesting bit.

monthDay30.png

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In the 30 days of Steve's official month challenge, Steve rode 7105 miles and Amanda rode 7087 miles. So Steve gets both the official and unofficial record for the month. I'm sure, should she want it, Amanda could take the official record at some point before she finishes her year though.

Here are the daily totals and averages for the two of them over the 30 days. Note that the vertical axis does not start at zero so the chart can focus on the interesting bit.

monthDay30.png
I suppose there are two interesting questions that arise from this.

First, we've been focussing on the UMCA-defined "highest monthly total" figure, where you have to pre-declare. Taking that constraint away, and looking at the database of Tommy's, Steve's, Tarzan's and Amanda's (and other riders') previous daily rides, what is the actual highest monthly total figure? My impression of Steve is that (like Kajsa) he's less interested in getting his name in a record book and more interested in achieving something tangible that's never been done before.

Second, what does this tell us, and Steve, about the year record? He's not a great wordsmith, so I suspect that there's a lot sitting behind this, from Facebook:
I'm happy with the way the month went. It went exactly as I expected, in that not everything went as I expected, which was what I expected would happen.
I will be looking at data from the rides and get back into training when I have made a recovery.
The year record isn't over yet.

I seem to remember that Godwin's best month was around 8000 miles so possibly unattainable.

I think Steve will train for the next quarter and then go for the year again. The only mitigation is whether he wants to see how far Amanda gets.

jo from the other place

According to my records, the highest total rolling 30 day distances from the various OYTT challengers:

Tommy Godwin 8447 miles (28th June - 27th July 1939)
Steve Abraham 7105 miles (2nd September - 1st October, 2016)
Amanda Coker 7104 miles (3rd September - 2nd October, 2016)
Kurt Searvogel 6767 miles (25th June - 24th July 2015)
Kajsa Tylen 3027 miles (31st August - 29th September 2016)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
According to my records, the highest total rolling 30 day distances from the various OYTT challengers:

Thank you! I knew it would be a very simple database query. I'm surprised, and pleased, to see that Steve comes out top of the recent challengers - I was expecting something bigger from either Tarzan or Amanda.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Since Amanda seems to have stopped yesterday about a quarter of a mile short of Steve's total, one has to assume she could have passed it if she'd wanted to. It makes me wonder if she deliberately refrained from doing so, which would be a classy thing to do. She'll nudge ahead today if she does about 380 kilometres, but I guess the nearby hurricane could make that difficult. Thereafter her 30-day totals may begin to drop back for the time being as the unbroken sequence of rides in the high 380s becomes over 30 days old.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

monthDay30.png
Steve's daily totals are far more erratic than Amanda's, without the benefit of starting fresh with a massive 300+ day at the start his total is less than hers.

Do you have figures for Alicia? :-)

jo from the other place

Apologies to Alicia for missing her out. I will add hers tonight when I get home from work and have access to the data.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Steve Abraham
15 hrs ·
Well I've done my sums and I make it 7104.5 miles for the 30 consecutive days.
That's 236.8 miles a day average and an average speed of 9.87mph for the month.
Thanks for all the help and support from everyone who helped out sent money and just took an interest. It simply wouldn't have happened without all of your help and support. The achievement isn't mine alone, I'm just the monkey who turned the pedals.
I intend to set up something on You Tube to answer questions and put stuff out about the record attempts.
I would have liked to have put more out during the attempt but had GPS, computer and phone problems.
I'm happy with the way the month went. It went exactly as I expected, in that not everything went as I expected, which was what I expected would happen.
I will be looking at data from the rides and get back into training when I have made a recovery.
The year record isn't over yet.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I suppose there are two interesting questions that arise from this.

Second, what does this tell us, and Steve, about the year record? He's not a great wordsmith, so I suspect that there's a lot sitting behind this, from Facebook:
I think you might have missed the humour in Steve's post. He writes very well.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Steve has made a series of posts in the other place which all but say he will have another go at the year record.

A couple of quotes: "I can't wait to get going on the year again."

"I'd rather go sooner rather than later."

Top Bottom