205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelO

Veteran
oyttDay11.png

It's been updated by jo to correct for time zones - this is much clearer :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I know I'm being really thick but I'm struggling with the graph, is there a nice simple* so and so has done this much which is x more or less than the record was at the same point?

And yes I do mean more simple than a really simple graph :blush:

The straight black line across the middle is the record daily amount needed. ie 204 miles per day.
Steve (Red line) is currently under that amount as his average to date is about 185. Stepping up the mileage in a couple of months time with more daylight and better weather. Tommy's amount is the grey line. So as you can see, Steve is ahead of Tommy at day 11.
Hope that makes sense.

If you have an Android phone, check out the app above.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The straight black line across the middle is the record daily amount needed. ie 204 miles per day.
Steve (Red line) is currently under that amount as his average to date is about 185. Stepping up the mileage in a couple of months time with more daylight and better weather. Tommy's amount is the grey line. So as you can see, Steve is ahead of Tommy at day 11.
Hope that makes sense.

If you have an Android phone, check out the app above.
Cheers @ianrauk, I confess it was the black line which was confusing me a little (well a lot actually) now I know it's Steves targetted average it's much clearer now :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I grasp where Steve is, but can't understand the progress of the two Americans.

I think Tarzan - the blue line - started a few days later, so on his day four he appears to be matching Steve.

Ironox - the green line - has dropped off the graph, so it looks to me as if he has already fallen way behind Steve.

Ironox could, I suppose, still be keeping to his own schedule, but he must be looking at some very long days at some point.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
IronOx is supposedly trying to fit the record round his work, and the consensus seems to be his attempt is not that serious compared to the other two. He also has health problems that stop him riding too far in cold weather, which it is where he is. Tarzan started on the 10th, so much shorter line, but he's slightly ahead of Steve over the first two days. His approach is different, and he's expending more energy riding faster, so it will be interesting to see if he can keep up the pace.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
IronOx is supposedly trying to fit the record round his work, and the consensus seems to be his attempt is not that serious compared to the other two. He also has health problems that stop him riding too far in cold weather, which it is where he is. Tarzan started on the 10th, so much shorter line, but he's slightly ahead of Steve over the first two days. His approach is different, and he's expending more energy riding faster, so it will be interesting to see if he can keep up the pace.

Makes sense.

I now recall Steve saying Tarzan's plan is to ride 'fast and short', so it's like the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

And we all know who won that one.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Makes sense.

I now recall Steve saying Tarzan's plan is to ride 'fast and short', so it's like the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

And we all know who won that one.
I think our boy has a few disadvantages in this particular race. For example, weather and hills - flat terrain and nicer weather allows for more miles in less time.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Posted by Steve at midday today ....

Plan for today is easy 90miles to my favourite cafe which serves large meals cheaply in under 5 minutes.
Then 3 30 mile sections back into the wind which shpuld ease off. Can recommend the half roast chicken.

The year is going well so far. Problems with lights that don't work in the wet and getting equipment, especially wheels which we now need to get elsewhere. I seem to spend a lot of time not riding but in spite of that we're above the 87000 mile schedule.

Don't expect to hear much from me this year and sorry fir not replying to medsages etc.

Thanks for all the help anddonations do far. Bairdy's food is going fiwn very well.

Sorry for bad grammer and miss typing. Fumblefingers is writinng from his phone in a hurry.
Got to go, time is miles...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Problems with lights that don't work in the wet and getting equipment, especially wheels which we now need to get elsewhere. I.

Strange he's concerned at getting wheels at this early stage.

Wear will obviously be accelerated, but he has done 'only' a couple of thousand miles.

Shouldn't the original wheels on the bike be up to more than that?

I understood that he's got a stockpile of spares, identicals/multiples of what he had decided to use (with a few different options for different conditions, of course). The idea was not to have to try anything new/untested during the year. If he's not 100% happy with the wheels he's on, that means a good chunk of the year's inventory has got to be ditched and something else identified and bought, in bulk. What a headache!

KneesUp

Guru
I seem to recall reading that Steve wanted to use disc brake to mitigate against lots of rim wear, but then I also get the impression that his preparations started long before Raleigh came on board - so perhaps there is some issue with the wheels he has in stock when used in conjunction with the Raleigh he's riding - although I can't think what that might be.

Top Bottom