20mph speed zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
30mph is safe with competent, alert and responsible drivers. We're stuck on an island with thousands of the buggers that couldn't give a flying toss about anyone but themselves. So a lower speed limit will slow responsible drivers down, but will still see irresponsible tossers flouting it just as much as they do with 30's 40's and 50 limits.

dellzeqq said:
in that case can we take the wheels off, just to be sure?

That would make it a big trip hazard and someone would still complain:biggrin::biggrin:

jonesy

Guru
ComedyPilot said:
30mph is safe with competent, alert and responsible drivers. We're stuck on an island with thousands of the buggers that couldn't give a flying toss about anyone but themselves. So a lower speed limit will slow responsible drivers down, but will still see irresponsible tossers flouting it just as much as they do with 30's 40's and 50 limits.

But the conclusion of the research is that they do still improve safety.

GrasB

Veteran
marinyork said:
I used to think like this but having lived on a 20mph zone I now see that there isn't this distinction. Motorists say this line but in reality are convinced that nearly all 20mph limits are "bogus". You can have a busy ped area many hours a day, a busy school and they'll come out with the same tired old line about why do we have to have 24hr 20mph zones and the ranting and raving goes on. Motorists support school 20mph zones as it doesn't threaten their world view, just splash a 20 zone for 2x30 minute periods and it is business as usual. If you have 20mph zones in even a small percentage of roads it starts to affect people's bad habits - the monospeed drivers, the aggressive drivers and so on.
I still can't work out if this is a pro or anti-20mph limit stance.

Personally I live in a 30 limit, a narrowish cul-de-sac, but it's right off a 20 limit main road which is wide enough to get 3 cars side by side. Interestingly most of the 'accidents' used to justify the move to a 20 limit were on the side roads... it just doesn't make sense. I wouldn't have a major issue with the main road being 20 if the side roads were or if the main road was a 30 & the side roads 20

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
GrasB said:
I still can't work out if this is a pro or anti-20mph limit stance.

Personally I live in a 30 limit, a narrowish cul-de-sac, but it's right off a 20 limit main road which is wide enough to get 3 cars side by side. Interestingly most of the 'accidents' used to justify the move to a 20 limit were on the side roads... it just doesn't make sense. I wouldn't have a major issue with the main road being 20 if the side roads were or if the main road was a 30 & the side roads 20

It's not pro or anti anything. I've long advocated that the default speed limit in residential areas should be 25mph and that on single carriageway roads national be 50mph with the added ability to make a few 60mph and so on. At various points in time that's been more radical on what is on offer/less radical depending on who you ask/time period.

If pretty much everything was made 20, which is the direction things are going it would not be my first choice policy but I would go along with it. There are several variants of 20 zones knocking around but several councils have got a lot more serious about the idea the last 2 or 3 years.

thomas

the tank engine
marinyork said:
If pretty much everything was made 20, which is the direction things are going it would not be my first choice policy but I would go along with it. There are several variants of 20 zones knocking around but several councils have got a lot more serious about the idea the last 2 or 3 years.

There are a couple near me. Along some side streets, where you'd be a crazed lunatic to actually do 20 or more....and along a stretch along unthank where there are lots of shops and peds. Most people seem to be doing around 20 mph there as I can draft them all :laugh:. Again, I wouldn't want to drive along there at more than 20mph really.

I'm kinda for 20mph. I think at times they are a good idea, but I think if I started driving regularly again they could annoy me. I'm against turning national speed limit to 50 though. If a road should be 50, then stick some signs up...otherwise leave it alone.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that's the genius of sub-editing!

Top Bottom