20mph speed zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
indeed. And the most interesting thing about the article is that it is about what has happened, not what some bright spark theorised might happen.

GrasB

Veteran
Unfortunately there's precious little real information in that article, it's more like a blurb. I'm also a little circumspect about the department this research has come from but that doesn't mean the research isn't valid.

Much more interesting would be to see where the areas were that 20mph limits where applied & if this lasted longer than an 'novelty period'. There's no point in blanket 20mph speed limits where it has no relevance as all you'll do is alienate the driving population & devalue the importance of 20 limits when they really are appropriate. That said I'm for 20mph limits in residential areas.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/20-mph-zones-and-road-safety-in-london.pdf

this study was commissioned by TfL and the writers point out repeatedly that London is a special case, as car ownership is lower, and the use of public transport is higher. However studies from around the UK all bear out the conclusions - not least the study in Hull.

The areas are mostly in zone 2 - althought the greatest single concentration is in Kingston. The effects seem to be permanent.

GrasB

Veteran
The engine will reach full operating temp, low speed + higher rim = slightly faster warm up in general but it'll mean people are driving in lower gears so thus lower fuel economy & more emissions.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
depends how they're driven. Given the frequency of junctions on residential roads, accellerating from zero to 30 and then braking again every few hundred yards will be less efficient, and noisier.

The study reports that 20mph zones are popular with residents.

GrasB

Veteran
Noise has way to many factors, the gearing, the engine, how good the driver is at throttle control, amount of engine vibration at low rpm etc..

On residential roads I rarely get up to 30 anyway, there's to much going to. But then again, I view the speed limit as the maximum NOT a target to get to ASAP.

Davidc

Guru
Bring back the man with the red flag.

Motor vehicles in urban areas are dangerous. Appropriate speed limits are the only way to mitigate that danger. Why does the limit have to be as high as 20mph?

Dilbert

IMO narrow residential streets should be 10mph, wider residential areas 20mph (shopping streets out of town centre etc) with 30mph only for arterial routes in and out.

I think if people were driving at a lower speed more consistently it would increase traffic flow and reduce emissions.

Also if driving was slower it might encourage more people to walk and cycle for short journeys which will have a beneficial effect on the environment.

thomas

the tank engine
the 20mph speed is all well and good - however you still can kill some one at the speed.

whats is needed is that the pedestrians learn some road sense, i have too often had to break so not to hit a jaywalker who just darts out infront of me.
That's all well and good, but you don't need any formal training to walk to the paper shop.

OP
OP
just jim

just jim

joolsybools said:
Have you seen the comments in the 'have your say'?

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=7334&edition=1&ttl=20091211122207

I think we need a few more pro-cycling comments in there please folks!

Speak Your Braynes candidate:

"The answer is not a lower speed limit, but less people on the roads, but if Labour are going to encourage tens of thousands to immigrate here every year, there will soon be no housing, no space, no jobs and even more people on the roads!"

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
GrasB said:
The engine will reach full operating temp, low speed + higher rim = slightly faster warm up in general but it'll mean people are driving in lower gears so thus lower fuel economy & more emissions.
well if anyone cares about emissions and fuel economy then just stick it in 3rd and the car will be pretty much idling as your doing 20. :blush:

Top Bottom