21st Century tech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
After having many years use out of my IBM X31 Netbook with its superfast 1.3 proc and 256 ram it starting to smell very hot and things didnt seem right.

Decided that i really needed a new computer so off i went.

Now i have a shiny laptop with dual core this and 750 that and 6 of this and its utter pants compared to my old IBM.

My mouse isnt compatable with windows 7
the garmin took about 3 hours before i finally got it to speak to the laptop

I liked windows XP

Mrs aud says i should have been born in the 1860's not the 1960's but is it me or is modern stuff overly complicated.

XP was good and recognised things, Windows 7 well ..........................................

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm a bit 'Fred Dibner' too. I would have been just as happy pre electronics when hardware meant nuts and bolts and door handles, and most things needed in life could be made with hand tools and a work bench in the shed and luxury was a forge and gas welding set.

Dad is like that sometimes. He will hack off a small branch from a tree to make a new handle for a shovel when the old one breaks, and do like wise when a handle falls off a pan.

Octet

Veteran
I think it is a mixture,

Modern technology has advanced and therefore things are understandable not going to be compatible, and technology can be over hyped a lot. Many people take the assumption that the more numbers, the better it is etc. and this is simply not the case.
On the other hand, technology has improved by a tremendous amounts!

I think a lot of people are in the same boat with you when it comes to XP, arguably Microsoft's best operating system (OS). Windows 8 looks like it shall be pants!
Personally, I use Ubuntu (Linux Distro) as I think it offers a lot more control, and once you get the hang of it you shall find it works a lot better with older technology whilst providing one of the most powerful platforms around... it is after all the OS of choice for Servers, Super Computers and scientific and medical research.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
I'm a bit 'Fred Dibner' too. I would have been just as happy pre electronics when hardware meant nuts and bolts and door handles, and most things needed in life could be made with hand tools and a work bench in the shed and luxury was a forge and gas welding set.

Dad is like that sometimes. He will hack off a small branch from a tree to make a new handle for a shovel when the old one breaks, and do like wise when a handle falls off a pan.

If it need a clout to get it working a gold old Birmingham micro adjuster would always work.

(a hammer)

Typhon

I've never had any problems with Windows 7 but then my hardware is only a few years old. Modern versions of windows are quite good in terms of the compatibility of the software (you can run old software in compatibility mode with old versions of windows).

I find modern technology incredibly easy to deal with. What I find hard is the stuff mentioned in the survival thread, which I wouldn't have a clue about. But it's probably an age thing. I'm 26 so I've grown up with technology and not manual skills.

D

Deleted member 1258

Having run Ubuntu for years I decided to upgrade, I was on the 10.4 version which is a couple of years old, my computer didn't like either of the 2 versions of the Mint operating system I tried, I didn't like the desktop on the latest Ubuntu, version 12.04, I ended up upgrading to Lubuntu 12.04, a stripped down lightweight version of Ubuntu, the computer is happy running it and I like it, its not without its idiosyncrasies but its fast and I was able to load all the applications I use when i installed it to create a custom install that suits me. The thing is my computer is only just over 3 years old and not low powered, 4 gig's of ram and a dual core processor, but the problem with mint appeared to be a combination of the graphics card struggling and compatibility issues with the Nvidia graphics software, the latest version of Ubuntu isn't as nice as the old version, the menu's on the desktop are clumsy and not as easy to use.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
It took my a while to get used to anything other than XP... I still use it on one of my work laptops as its on the standard build image.

Windows 7 is night and day better than Vista!

HovR

Über Member
just shut the lid to watch tv and it went into strop mode.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Start Button > Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what closing the lid does (on the left hand side bar) > Change to "Do Nothing" (on battery and power).

Fixed. :smile:

It's just new, different ways of doing things that you'll have to get used to. I've been using Win7 since a few months after it came out and I much prefer it to any other OS I've used.

defy-one

Win xp has had 3 major updates (sp3) and hundreds of minor patches to become the most stable and hardware compatible OS from Microsoft.
Win 7 is good as long as your pc spec is good. I wouldn't run it on anything that doesn't have a dual core processor and a minimum of 4Gb memory.
Unfortunately,it has become the standard OS on all laptops, and a lot of them have slow processors with 3Gb memory

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I got very used to XP and didn't really want to change to Win7 because I thought it might be an extension of that abysmal Vista. When my PC became an ex-PC I was forced into the change. Once you've figured out where things are, though, I've found it to be stable and easy to use. And that figuring out process is part and parcel of getting used to a computer: remember that us Windows users had to learn that you have to go to ''Start'' to stop it.

However, for the use I give it I'm at a loss to name any real advantages for Win7 over XP.

tyred

Legendary Member

I've earned my living from electronics in one form or other and was the sort of 12 year old who built AM radio receivers for fun while my friends were playing football or whatever yet I have become increasingly bored with technology and hanker after steam engines and vintage cars and a simpler, more mechanical age.

In my current job in telecoms, I see new phone systems come out all the time which offer nothing useful that their predecessors didn't yet our sales people sell these things as "upgrades" to our customers with all the useful new features which will be disabled again a few weeks after installation and the customer will end up with a system set up exactly the same as the one they removed. Pointless waste of resources if you ask me.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Fixed. :smile:

It's just new, different ways of doing things that you'll have to get used to. I've been using Win7 since a few months after it came out and I much prefer it to any other OS I've used.

I did that after i restarted but why do i have to

surely microsoft can just put in a load of questions on 1st boot up.

Top Bottom