21st stage TDF question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Roglic was lying in 4th position, 1min more than Froome (3rd). What if he likes to sprint and try to win the stage, perhaps even can overtake Froome. Just hypothetical assuming that's possible to take a min off. The 21st stage is more or less ceremony, but is Roglic allowed to do that?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
There's nothing in the rules to say he can't, but it would be unwise for his career and riding in the pro peloton.

normgow

Guru
But it has not always been this way. In 1947 - (I've read this, even I'm not that old to be able to remember) Jean Robic at the start of the last stage Caen-Paris, was in third place nearly three minutes behind maillot jaune Brambilla of Italy. On the road out of Rouen, Robin attacked on the Côte du Homme Morte together with Fachleitner of France. They worked hard together and reached Paris with a fourteen minute lead thus assuring overall victory to Jean Robic, who became the first winner not to have worn the yellow jersey.
This feat was repeated in 1968 when Jan Janssen of the Netherlands beat Hermann van Springel in the last stage time trial to take the victory.
The tour in 1947 was the first to be held after the end of WW2 and there was no doubt huge support for a French victory as a symbol of regained prestige in the world even more so when that victory was gained over someone from a country which only a few years previously had been an enemy.
Also at that time the Tour was contested by national and French regional teams so there was no doubt a certain patriotic fervour which with current trade teams is no longer the case.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This "Tradition" only began in 1975, the first year that the Tour ended with a criterium in Paris where it is virtually impossible for a contender to open any time gap. The last stage was often time trial previous to that, as it was again in 1989 when Lemond overtook Fignon to snatch victory. Should the final stage end on top of a mountain it would be a full on race.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Traditions develop over time, and can always continue to evolve. It hasn't happened yet, but one day we'll have first and second separated by such a small gap that a simple split in the peloton could change the result. When that happens both teams will have to be properly vigilant and won't have any complaint if they get it wrong - although it would get extremely messy if it descends into arguments about who gets the same time as who following crashes in the last 3km.

OK, I've changed my mind. Neutralise it completely rather than relying on unwritten conventions.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A bit further back, in 1987 when Roche led Delgado by 40 seconds, Delgado made very conspicuous attempts to get away, and was of course caught fairly easily.

Interestingly, from what I can recall (I gave all my tapes to a young cycling-mad cousin a few years ago) no-one at the time saw anything wrong in this. If anything, it would have been seen as disrespectful to the race if he hadn't tried.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that if the final stage is going to be procession followed by a sprint then the times shouldn't count for the GC. It would be really bad if the rider in the yellow jersey got knocked off his bike with 3.1 km to go and lost the race as a result. I'm sure that the vast majority of the riders would agree with such a change to the rules.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think that if the final stage is going to be procession followed by a sprint then the times shouldn't count for the GC. It would be really bad if the rider in the yellow jersey got knocked off his bike with 3.1 km to go and lost the race as a result. I'm sure that the vast majority of the riders would agree with such a change to the rules.

They did neutralise the timings on the final stage in 2015 due to the bad weather.

Otherwise, I think they just have to treat it the same as any other flat stage that's likely to end in a bunch sprint.

I've also heard it said that they would neutralise the timings if the yellow jersey wearer were to crash on the final stage - and in any case, no one would attack if that happened.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I wouldn't agree to a rule change. It's still a race and if the riders want to neutralise it so be it, but if anyone doesn't then so be it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
They did neutralise the timings on the final stage in 2015 due to the bad weather.

Otherwise, I think they just have to treat it the same as any other flat stage that's likely to end in a bunch sprint.

I've also heard it said that they would neutralise the timings if the yellow jersey wearer were to crash on the final stage - and in any case, no one would attack if that happened.
It would be an issue if the yellow jersey crashed and was unable to finish the stage.
I can imagine the new winner would be embarrassed to win that way given that the race is conceded at the end of S20.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Just been looking up occasions when the Tour lead has changed hands on the final stage...

1947 - final stage was flat but with a hill, where Jean Robic attacked to win the prime. Once he realised he had a gap, he decided to stay clear. Pierre Brambilla, who was in yellow going into the final day, finished the stage 13 minutes behind Robic.

1968 - final stage was split into a 136km road race and a 55km time trial. Jan Janssen beat Herman Van Springel by a large enough margin to take the yellow jersey off him.

1989 - LeMond vs Fignon, we all know about this one.

What has never happened is the race lead changing hands on the final stage due to the leader crashing out.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
When Thomas crossed the line riding no handed in celebration of his yellow jersey there was clearly a time gap between him and the winner.
Did this get over looked as part of the final stage convention?

Top Bottom