24 hour Championship 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Update. Andy Wilkinson's 24 hour total mileage confirmed at 541.17 miles, beating his own record of 525+. And that on a pretty tough course.

frank9755

Cyclist
There are two this year - The Mersey Roads 24 is at the end of July - but entries have closed!

What is really interesting is that he did it on a bike which looks like an old skool steel mountain bike. It isn't of course but his philosophy is to only have one bike which he tweaks for different applications. He used trispoke/disc wheels and aerobars for this ride but the bike has a triple, will take a rack and panniers and also has a lot of clearance for fat off-road tyres.

He has had it custom-made in highest grade steel after the first two attempts, using titanium, failed.

It really makes me think about rationalising my bikes and just getting one that I can use for everything.

Mr Bunbury

I was there ... but I think Ian knew that
thumbsup.png

The Mersey Roads is the race that is held every year. There hasn't been a Sussex race since 1999, and AFAIK there are no plans to run it again in the foreseeable future.

Frank, what's also interesting about Wilko's bike is that it has a very long wheelbase. Look at the distance between the rear wheel and the seat tube, and the front wheel and the pedals. There's more than just room for clearance there.

frank9755

Cyclist
Yes, he has clearly had it tailor-made to give him his optimum position. The long wheelbase means he is able to get something approaching Obree's Superman position.

Certainly food for thought for anyone thinking of spending £x,000 on a new aerodynamic carbon frame with tight clearances and a short wheelbase.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes, he has clearly had it tailor-made to give him his optimum position. The long wheelbase means he is able to get something approaching Obree's Superman position.

Certainly food for thought for anyone thinking of spending £x,000 on a new aerodynamic carbon frame with tight clearances and a short wheelbase.
It is, but on a 24 where he was averaging about 21- 22mph aerodynamics were the least of his worries, a long way behind comfort.

Mr Bunbury

(Slightly) nearer 23mph than 22mph, actually. That's not an entirely pedantic point - everyone says he stayed on the tribars virtually the whole time, so he definitely made comfort sacrifices.

oldroadman

Veteran
What a machine. The mind boggles at how anyone can do this distance in a day. The scary thing is, he did a sub 4 hour first 100 miles :whistle:

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tix9iF3reSE[/media]

Is there a random medical control on riders in this event,staying awake and hammering for 24 hours s hardly natural. Not suggesting anything, but in the current climate of "everyone's at it" then a control with no bad results would be a good thing. And shut the doubters up!

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Is there a random medical control on riders in this event,staying awake and hammering for 24 hours s hardly natural. Not suggesting anything, but in the current climate of "everyone's at it" then a control with no bad results would be a good thing. And shut the doubters up!

There may be tests after any CTT event.

Top Bottom