24 mm seat post replacement .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
I was looking for a little bit of advice regarding a replacement 24mm seat post for my early 80,s Peugeot. The one fitted is an old unsightly chrome post and was wanting to replace it with a lighter alloy one. From what I've learnt 24mm alloy seat posts are a little thin on the ground ,so was looking at buying a 23.4 mm one and shimming it up with maybe some tin from a coke can ect. Would this be a workable idea or would the post just not tighten properly and cause constant problems.
Thanks for reading and any advice given..
Johnny.

I did manage to find a 24mm post for the last Pug I did, but I can't for the life of me remember where from, and a quick Google isn't reminding me either. If I do remember, (and if they still have any), I'll be sure to let you know.

In the meantime Decathlon do a 23.4mm post, LINK.

It comes with a couple of shims for 25mm and 27.2mm. This may give you a cleaner look, (with some jiggery pokery I grant you), than a bean can shim, but if you don't want to spend money just try the can shim, plenty of others have done it with the dreaded 24mm posts.

[EDIT] IIRC what I actually got was a 24mm shim from HERE. It shows as out of stock now but may be worth an email just to check.
So I must have used a 23.?mm post with it, but as for which post that I can't recall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers buddy. Good advice and taken on board.
I'm surprised that no one manufacturers these anymore even in small numbers. There still must be a market for them, abait small.

si_c

Guru
Cheers buddy. Good advice and taken on board.
I'm surprised that no one manufacturers these anymore even in small numbers. There still must be a market for them, abait small.
I've picked up a couple on eBay in the past, there is a company in Germany that makes them, not cheap though, around 30 quid delivered. I wanted a 400mm one though.

davidphilips

Veteran

Attachments

• Koala.jpg
    Koala.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
It's funny you should suggest this, as that's exactly what I've done today. I initially wanted to change the old one because it looked a little tatty and get a nice new alloy one with an integrated clamp purely for aesthetics and being marginally lighter , but the more I thought about it I kind of realised I was just getting sucked into replacing stuff that doesn't really need replacing. Today I gave the old seat post a good clean up and a spray over with some Matt black paint I had lying around in the shed , and it now looks very smart indeed.
As for weight savings my old bike is made out of old heavy weight steel and fitting an alloy post is hardly going to transform it. It would be a different story if the bike was a light weight and I was competing against others in a race .
All the very best.
Johnny

Top Bottom