24 TPI sawblade enough? Steerertube.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CyclingStone

Everybody tells me that I need to have a 32 TPI blade to cut my steerertube, and they say that it's the normal. WELL it's not, the normal is 24TPI and I can't find 32 anywhere. Well I could order but that will take 1 week. I cut it one time already and no bigger problems I think but I need to cut it again and this time it need to be done perfect I guess, not that much more tube after that cut.

Also, if you saw in water there won't be any dust. Nice tip from me.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tool station sell 32 TPI blades. Even wilko's sell them.

I'm assuming from the "no dust" part you weren't cutting metal. Reverse the blade, you'll be cutting on the pull, not push stroke.

Sharky

Guru
Are you sure you need to cut it again? Another spacer would take it above the steerer so you could tension the headset?

If desperate, anything you can find to pack between the spacers enough to make them proud of the steerer while you tighten the headset. Once tight, you can discard the temporary packing you've used.

Brandane

Legendary Member
£26 for a proper pipe cutter capable of taking the 29mm diameter of a steerer tube. Suitable for alloy.
ToolStation link.

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Hi everybody. The thing is massive, it had to be almost 20cm over the headtube when I got it. I cut it just to try things out.

I have a dilemma now, either I put it in a bag and ride on my other bike to a shop in the nearby city, only shop who responded or I cut it again with a 32T because I will get one of those today.

I really don't like the whole dust thing when it comes to carbon, I know how some people regret working with asbestos and if they could have done differently they would.

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Tool station sell 32 TPI blades. Even wilko's sell them.

I'm assuming from the "no dust" part you weren't cutting metal. Reverse the blade, you'll be cutting on the pull, not push stroke.
If you put a thing in a container with water and then saw there is not a chance in hell it will be dust. Metall or not?

GuyBoden

Guru
As you probably already know, your local bike shop will have the proper tools and do a better job.

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

I will take it to the shop. Biggest question now is how much I will order them to cut off.

This cut will be a critical cut, the one I made wasn't as important because the tube was massive from the start, I think it was 16 cm above my headset when I got it. I know it isn't optimal but is it ok to have 3 cm left under the stem and 0.5 cm above when carbon? My previous was made of aluminium. This frame is bigger and I always compensated with a higher stem.

Top Bottom