25 Angry dogs attack cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What a stressed up bloke, he must have commuted all the way from London.

Tommy2

Über Member
Que dog lovers attacking my fear because I don't share their passion ;-)

I'm sure you would love nothing more than that.

Unfortunately if we all start spouting off about hating dogs and their owners for being a nuisance then we become no better than car drivers spouting off at cyclists, (as cyclists if we are on the road somebody is p**sing us off, if we are on the pavement or shared use path someone is p**sing us off, but who is the common denominator?)

A genuine fear is fine, but purely for your own well being maybe something you should seek help for if it is affecting your daily life to such a degree.

Being frustrated by inconsiderate dog walkers (or inconsiderate people in general) is one thing but being fearful of passing a dog (whether it appears to be "aggressive" or not) is in my view irrational.

I don't particularly like walking past groups of teenagers hanging around on street corners at night but that doesn't mean I HATE teenagers, street corners or night.

**seeking help applies to any irrational fear so before it is said I am not picking on you for your particular fear**

I adore the company of dogs, but would not want to have on or share a home with one.

They strike me as a less intelligent and slightly fawning version of cats.

Our cat has nothing but disdain for everyone and everything it sees. There is no artifice. No waggy tail. No stupid game-playing or stick-chasing.

Its entire veltanschauung can be summed up with this tick list, which it applies to everything and everyone:

1. Can I eat it? 2. Can I crap on it? 3. Can I sleep on it?

There was a fourth question, but the vet has altered our cat, so he has a shorter tick-list, so to speak.

Beautiful, uncomplicated, utterly selfish. And less likely to scare a Greek policeman on a bicycle.

Cats Nine, Dogs nil.

Carry on.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've posted this on here before but this seems like a good moment:

dog-vs-cat-diary.jpg

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Lets face it. The average person is not going to know shoot about dogs. 25 of them surround you and are barking what do you think the guys going to think.
A normal person I would imagine would react as such.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I have a fear of dogs, this situation would of scared the crap out of me.I would be looking for a detour next time for certain, as opposed to suing the man who owns sheep......

Globalti

Legendary Member
The man was so wound up that he couldn't even see that the dogs were greeting him happily, not trying to kill him.

I once took my agent from Pakistan out for a stroll at Brimham Rocks and somebody's dog came up, tail wagging, to say hello. My poor colleague hid behind me crying out in terror because he only ever sees vicious guard dogs, he was absolutely bricking himself. The owners of the dog were embarrassed and thought he was on an outing from a special school; they explained to him in very patient and simple terms that the dog was trying to be friendly, not to bite him.

Adam G

Regular
I'm sure you would love nothing more than that.

Unfortunately if we all start spouting off about hating dogs and their owners for being a nuisance then we become no better than car drivers spouting off at cyclists, (as cyclists if we are on the road somebody is p**sing us off, if we are on the pavement or shared use path someone is p**sing us off, but who is the common denominator?)

A genuine fear is fine, but purely for your own well being maybe something you should seek help for if it is affecting your daily life to such a degree.

Being frustrated by inconsiderate dog walkers (or inconsiderate people in general) is one thing but being fearful of passing a dog (whether it appears to be "aggressive" or not) is in my view irrational.

I don't particularly like walking past groups of teenagers hanging around on street corners at night but that doesn't mean I HATE teenagers, street corners or night.

**seeking help applies to any irrational fear so before it is said I am not picking on you for your particular fear**

Haha. I've put my hatred for dogs on the interwebs before in a less tongue-in-cheek way and I got abuse; but I realise that my post could have come across as spouting - it isn't, just an understanding of the guys reaction. But my fear/hatred is manageable. I'm not paying money to therapist for a manageable personality trait. It doesn't massively effect me every day, I can walk past a couple of quiet dogs.

All I would ask of dog owners is to realise that not everyone loves their dog as much as they do. If it can't be trained not to greet those not encouraging them to be greeted by it (be it happy tail wagging to aggressive tail wagging or something inbetween) then keep it on a leash, keep it behind a gate, keep it away. Especially from me.

Tommy2

Über Member
I do agree though, it's like with anything, don't cram it down people's throats, i don't want your child driving his miniature car on my table in a beer garden when I'm just about to have my meal (true story). An yes it is annoying when they are on extendable leads at opposite sides of the path like they are trying to lay a trip wire for you, stood chatting and not paying attention to their dogs or surroundings.

if people want to stroke my dog they are more than welcome to approach me and ask, but in the flip side I don't just want every Tom, dick and Harry touching my dogs without permission.

Top Bottom