25 mile TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Depends. For my first TT (a 10) I aimed at <30 mins (20 mph average). I went quicker, but I had no idea whether I could do it at the time (that TT was the first sporting event I entered out of my own free will, ever). I aimed at 20 for my first 25 too. Then for my second one I had the target of beating the time I did in the first one.

If you already race, or have an idea of the sort of average speeds you can manage under similar conditions, you may have a better idea of what you might achieve.

OP
OP
addictfreak
Well I don't race at all. But am more than capable of a 20 mph average over 25 mile.

I suppose there's a little bit of pride involved, and I certainly don't want to be last.

I believe there's a handicap system used, but not sure whether its based on age or time trialling ability.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Handicap systems within clubs are based on the times riders can be expected to do- if you are an unknown quantity you'll probably initially have a generous allowance. There is also a type of handicapping based on age which is used in VTTA events, but elsewhere too.

Will1985

Über Member
For a first 25, anything under 1:10:00 is pretty good. Handicapping can be based on age and ability; for a novice as has been mentioned they will either be generous or not give you a handicap time. If it's a club event it hardly matters anyway.

I'd aim for an hour and be happy with anything under 1:10. I used to hit sub hour times for 25 mile TTs, but that's not happened for over 15 years. :laugh:

Do you have a TT bike or are you clipping on TT bars? Getting into a good tuck can easily add on an extra mile or 2 per hour.

iendicott

Addictfreak, I to am looking at competing in my first ever time trial in Aug, I didn't set my goal to high so decided a nice 25 miler to start off :biggrin:

Never competed before in anything related to cycling though I am told by the other club run members I should be able to hold my own, my lack of confidence may hinder me though as I don't want to make myself look like a t1t on the first TT by going the wrong way :laugh:

Ivan

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It will also depend on the course and weather. I managed to come fifth in a (not very hotly contested!) 25 once with a time only just under 65 minutes. The winner did not go under the hour. It was a lumpy course, early in the season, windy and there were roadworks with temporary traffic lights on the course!

Aiming for a time of less than 60 minutes I'd suggest is a longer-term goal. Will's target is a good start, better than evens but not so challenging that it'll screw with your focus on the day- it feels much better to be ahead of your target*.

Will1985

Über Member
marzjennings said:
I'd aim for an hour and be happy with anything under 1:10. I used to hit sub hour times for 25 mile TTs, but that's not happened for over 15 years. :laugh:
Unless already a road racer, the OP can't expect to hold 40km/h for 1 hour...if he tried he would blow up and finish with 1:30 and walk away from TTing. There will always be plenty of time trials to ride later. I just think for a first TT it is wise to ride within your capabilities...let's face it you can only improve.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
iendicott said:
I don't want to make myself look like a t1t on the first TT by going the wrong way :laugh:

Ivan

Make sure you know the course first! I generally always ride a course beforehand if I have a chance. The course descriptions on the CTT website are variable but sometimes people post them on Bikely- search for the course code. Sometimes it's practically impossible to find out- if that happens I turn up early and ask someone at the HQ.

OP
OP
addictfreak
Will1985 said:
Unless already a road racer, the OP can't expect to hold 40km/h for 1 hour...if he tried he would blow up and finish with 1:30 and walk away from TTing. There will always be plenty of time trials to ride later. I just think for a first TT it is wise to ride within your capabilities...let's face it you can only improve.

Will

That's sounds spot on. I'm not a racer, I just enjoy cycling. I can normally average around 19mph over distances of 20-30 miles. Realistically I would be happy with a sub 1.15.

There are clearly some good time trialists on this forum!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Will1985 said:
I just think for a first TT it is wise to ride within your capabilities...

That's sort of the point in any TT. If you overextend yourself you need to recover and that'll bring down your average speed. It's a hard effort, but also very controlled. Takes a while to get a feel for it.

scott s10

palinurus said:
Depends. For my first TT (a 10) I aimed at <30 mins (20 mph average). I went quicker, but I had no idea whether I could do it at the time (that TT was the first sporting event I entered out of my own free will, ever). I aimed at 20 for my first 25 too. Then for my second one I had the target of beating the time I did in the first one.

If you already race, or have an idea of the sort of average speeds you can manage under similar conditions, you may have a better idea of what you might achieve.
30 mins for 25 miles =50 mph average:wacko:
a decent time for a 25mile tt is 1hr 15 which is about 20mph though a decent tester will go under 1hour

Top Bottom