250 mile in 24 hours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ydrum31

Hello all.
Just looking for some advice and information.
I’m currently riding twice a week and riding around 40mile each time. So far from anything considered seriou
I’m considering giving myself the challenge for the coast to coast cycle ride but instead of doing it one way over 2-3 days I’m thinking there and back in less than 24 hours.
That will be around 250 mile in less than 24 hours. I know on paper with a little math it’s achievable but in practice I’m not so sure.
Has anyone attempted anything like this or is it just not achievable?

really appreciate any help you can give. Or just tell me to think of some other challenge lol

Hello all.
I’m currently riding twice a week and riding around 40mile each time. So far from anything considered seriou
I’m considering giving myself the challenge for the coast to coast cycle ride but instead of doing it one way over 2-3 days I’m thinking there and back in less than 24 hours.
That will be around 250 mile in less than 24 hours. I know on paper with a little math it’s achievable but in practice I’m not so sure.

really appreciate any help you can give. Or just tell me to think of some other challenge lol

Yes it's achievable, but maybe get a few audaxs in first?

CXRAndy

Guru
Build up to 100 miles, then do two 100 milers on successive days. Then ride a few 150 milers spread out. Once you can do this it should be OK physically to do.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have done that distance once. From Doncaster to London. It took 19 hours with a good few stops for refuelling.
There are a good few members on here that have done much further on ultra distance Audax. LEL (LondonEndinburgLondon), PBP (ParisBrestParis) are two such examples.
However it is down to how bike fit you are and Its something that is very possible to work up to.

Maybe challenge yourself to do it in a single ride - which is perfectly possible once you are used to distances and night riding - then if you do it in 24:01 you won't be disappointed.

I say that as someone whose one ride of that kind of distance took 25 hours (414km in 25:11) I was just happy to finish.

My bold ,as @Dogtrousers says your main problems will most likely be the slowing of pace at night and the amount of stops you make overall , this is a 400km audax I did six years ago LINK when I first started Audax and whilst my moving time for the ride was 21 hours 18 minutes the overall time was 26 hours 48 minutes so 5 hours and a half hours stopped :rolleyes: the best training advice I would give is up your average speed and practice being more efficient when off the bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As above it is a standard audax distance and time. Key thing in planning your own is working out resupply particularly for the overnight sections where things may be firmly closed. When are you planning this for?

Hello all.

It's a bit of a leap isn't it ? If I was you I'd have a few more achievable targets on the way. The 250 is a huge jump from 40 and quite possibly enough to put you off cycling.

Unless you're racing it's meant to be fun. Maybe do the route over two or three days as a recce to check the route.

OP
OP
Y

Ydrum31

Hi
Really appreciate all the advice.
After reading through the advice I’m going to up my training through the winter.
We are planning on the ride mid June to take advantage of the long days. We have someone coming with us who has completed the route a few time but over a few days so he will be our guide.
we are going to take your advice and just try and complete it in one go instead of less than 24 hours (but still aim for the 24 hours 😀 need a goal).
We are going to have a friend drive the route and meet us at predetermined stops for a water and food.

Once again I really appreciate the advice it’s gave us a lot to think about

mattobrien

Guru
I did the Dunwich Dynamo both ways a few years ago. Two of us started in Dunwich at around 11am and pedalled to London. It was around 27c and into a headwind. Pretty tough going and we should have stopped earlier for food. We made it to London, ate plenty and rode the other was. The way back was much easier, cooler temperatures, a tailwind and more company.

I didn’t do any specific training, but was probably riding 150 miles a week at that time. The areas I hadn’t trained for and hurt, were my wrists and neck, they weren’t used to that length of time in the saddle. Legs were fine, backside was delicate.
it was 226 miles in total and took around 13 hours of pedalling, plus breaks.

My bold ,as @Dogtrousers says your main problems will most likely be the slowing of pace at night and the amount of stops you make overall , this is a 400km audax I did six years ago LINK when I first started Audax and whilst my moving time for the ride was 21 hours 18 minutes the overall time was 26 hours 48 minutes so 5 hours and a half hours stopped :rolleyes: the best training advice I would give is up your average speed and practice being more efficient when off the bike.
Queensbury- I remember some cold cold matches playing up that pitch 🥶

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have never done that kind of distance but I have done very hilly 240 km rides a few times which took me 12 hours or so. I found the worst thing wasn't fatigue, but discomfort on the bike. Slight niggles after 5 or 6 hours can become a major nuisance after 10 hours, and worse after 13-14.

If I were going to ride for 24 hours I would be focussing on comfort more than anything else.

With a sensible build-up to your ride you should develop the fitness, and can look out for any comfort issues to be resolved. Does your saddle suit you on long rides? Is your bike set up perfectly for you? And so on..

Good luck!

Top Bottom