26.4mm seatpost options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deejayen

Veteran
What are my options for a 26.4mm seatpost for an old Peugeot?

The bike currently has a Stronglight aero post, but it's corroded and marked.

It has to be silver, length 250mm (a bit less would be okay). Something good quality, such as a Nitto or equivalent would be good. Compatibility with 7x9mm carbon rails would be the icing on the cake, but it's not a necessity.

I thought USE made 25mm setposts with appropriate shims, but I think they must have stopped them. Thomson Elite in smaller diameters are only available in black, plus they probably wouldn't look good on an old bike.

As a matter of interest, is it possible to ream out the seat tube from 26.4mm to 27.2mm, and how would a machine shop go about doing it? Is removing that amount of material from a Reynolds 531 frame a bad idea?

Sharky

Guru

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
Thanks very much! I did see both of those, but neither appealed - I just fancied something a bit bit posher(!), although if all else fails I'll probably end up buying the ETC one from Tredz.

What are my options for a 26.4mm seatpost for an old Peugeot?

The bike currently has a Stronglight aero post, but it's corroded and marked.

It has to be silver, length 250mm (a bit less would be okay). Something good quality, such as a Nitto or equivalent would be good. Compatibility with 7x9mm carbon rails would be the icing on the cake, but it's not a necessity.

I thought USE made 25mm setposts with appropriate shims, but I think they must have stopped them. Thomson Elite in smaller diameters are only available in black, plus they probably wouldn't look good on an old bike.

As a matter of interest, is it possible to ream out the seat tube from 26.4mm to 27.2mm, and how would a machine shop go about doing it? Is removing that amount of material from a Reynolds 531 frame a bad idea?
I think reaming would not be a viable option. A slightly smaller seatpost would be my preferred option - have done several with homemade shims without issue.

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
Thanks!

It's funny, but this morning I remembered I have some fancy metal polish, so I'm planning to see if I can clean up my existing one. It has "Stronglight" printed in black letters, so I don't want to use anything too abrasive on that part of it.

I've also seen some NOS Campag and 3T seatposts for sale (not cheap) but they're all less than 200mm.

southcoast

Über Member
I have a bike that needs a 26.4 seat post. I found that the two vintage posts I have would not let me get the correct seat angle with modern saddles. As most modern saddles have the seat rails at a different angle to vintage ones.
So you may need a modern seat post if you want to fit a modern saddle.

Top Bottom