26" forks for an M5 Mid Racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, I've nearly finished personalising/fettling the M5 Mid-Racer I bought back in September, and have saved enough to buy a dynamo front wheel for it. Whilst looking at the options available I looked into thru-axles and have decided to pursue this route, particularly as I was looking to swap the forks which the bike came with. The fitted forks are full carbon and look sized for off-road/cyclocross clearance running a 700c wheel, so with the 26" wheel the mid-racer is specced for it looks, well, odd, with a large gap between the top of the tyre (I've fitted a 28mm) and the inside-top of the fork. I'd rather have something which was shorter which will (a) fit the 26" wheel better and (b) drop the front of the bike an inch or two which will improve visibility for me.
Errmm, added to which I might have damaged the steerer tube by fitting an overlong bolt to the chain idler (despite depth-checking the bloody thing with a vernier caliper), which bolts to the head tube via a threaded boss, and gouging a 1- 2mm deep rut in said steerer tube. I've epoxied the gouge and it should be OK for a while, but this has added fresh impetus to the replacements of the forks.

My question is, can anyone recommend a fork make/model to me please? I was looking at carbon/carbon forks again but have found some which say they have an upper weight limit of 100kg, and as I tip the scales at that figure and intend to carry luggage on the bike for work/recreation etc I'll be over this. I did try looking at M5s webpage but it's a tad difficult to navigate and they don't seem to sell ali or cromo disc forks on their own.
Oh, just to add to the fun I'd like to have mudguard eyelets as well as I'm a 'guard devotee :smile:

Top Bottom