26 inch wheels - advantages?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've been told for a fair old while now that they are on the way out/already history - doomed.

In fact the noise on this increased just after I bought my 26 inch wheel Ridgeback Expedition, which I love.

Barring my two folders, all my bikes are 700 wheels, which I also like, but anyone care to point out the particular plus points of 26inch, in the hope that those upstairs might listen and they can live on?

Some from me - folk feel free to correct me/tell me if my O level physics has betrayed me:

Strong wheels - good for piling lots of crap on top of the bike
General ability to fit wider tyres for certain usage
Easier to push when you get off, particularly when loaded over difficult terrain
(edit on above point as might seem odd in view of me saying below that I always have a gear - am really speaking about pushing when, for instance, wheeling the bike through a wood/maybe over a field/up a track or whatever for a furtive free/wild camp)
Since the wheels go round more for any given distance, more effective charging of powerbanks from hub dynamos
If you get an appropriate frame size, more chance of getting a big bottle on the underside of the bike without clashing with the front mudguard - I can get a 1 litre Trangia fuel bottle on the underside of my Ridgeback Expedition but not on any of my other bikes - they have to make do with the smaller Trangia bottle.

Over to you wise and experienced folk ....

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Off road in the UK climate the 26" hoop has one almighty advantage over it's larger brethren.

There is less surface area to clag with mud, and they shed mud more quickly when back on the harder surfaces. When fully clagged up the bigger wheels can be a couple of kg heavier each wheel than the 26", and that makes a tremendous difference to control, performance and energy expenditure.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Knew I'd forgotten something:

Gearing for loaded.

The Expedition has 48/36/26 on the front and 12-36 on the back - 9 speed.

With that I can get up pretty much anything fully loaded and also zip along as fast as I ever need to. Have never yet felt that I've run out of gears at either end.

Chislenko

Veteran
The main advantage is they are in inches whilst the others are in some foreign measurement 😃😃

Top Bottom