26"MTB commuting / touring tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
The tyres on my mtb are wearing very thin and are in need of a change soon. I use the mtb for mixed riding on road and cycle tracks and keep the pug just for the road.

I'm fancying a set of non-knobbly's and you helpful guys and gals previously brought vittoria's to my attention. Is there a best-of-budget tyre I should be looking at or are halfrauds and Conti's the way forward?

Cheers, Kev

Bodhbh

Guru
Hrmm blatant hawking, but they might be what your looking for.

I've got a pair of 26 x 2.0 folding Marathon XRs on eBay atm. They've good for mixed surfaces, very bombproof, good puncture resistance - last *ages*. They are heavy however, and maybe the tread is too aggressive if there's more road riding than off-road. They're only a quid atm, so you may get a bargin tho.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Spa have these in 26" x 2;

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s206p2879

They'd work out at £26 delivered.

Personally, I find the "Plus" type tyres (with the rubber subtread p* protection layer) tyres a bit too heavy - I'd sooner go with a kevlar breaker belt and fix the odd p*, but your priorities may be different.

I'm not sure whether Continental even make them any more, but the Comfort Contact was a super road going tyre, and cheap too.

Top Bottom