27.5 wheels/700s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daysnways

I've wound up with a couple of pairs of wheels that came on various bikes.

the latest being my knight i picked up.

Now the frame is light with some nice light components which i'm adding to, but these wheels are heavy and don't suit my intended build.

The bike is from 77-80 so, i was thinking of getting some nice mavics/nito on campag, would these be 700s though? was 27.5 a british thing only? i'm assuming i can run 700s on a frame that came with 27.5s without an issue?

what is the actual size diff? i'm being lazy...anyone want to give it to me in laymans terms.

tah

keith

Wolfie4560

27.5" is 650b size and is French in origin. There is an explanation here...
http://ridinggravel.com/components/wheel-comparison-650b-vs-700c/

If your bike is late 70's, there is a possibility that the wheels are 27 x 1 1/4.

ChrisEyles

Guru
You can run 700c wheels on a 27" old road bike frame IF your brake calipers have a long enough reach. I think the difference is something like 4mm if I remember correctly. I've seen lots of 27" road bikes, but not a single 650b one (I thought that was a new MTB size TBH!).

If you don't mind them not being period correct it's still perfectly possible to get new 27" wheels online though (I had a pair made up a couple of years ago by "singlespeedcomponents" and was very happy with them). There are also some decent 27" x 1,1/4" tyres out there too (I like panaracer paselas a lot).

midlife

Guru
Bikes meant for road use and TT back then were usually built for sprints/tubs.......700c

Just stick a 700c wheel in the forks and look at the gap :smile:

Have the mudguard eyes been ground off the dropouts?

Shaun

Top Bottom